John Leveson-Gower, 1st Baron Gower
John Leveson-Gower, 1st Baron Gower PC (7 January 1675 – 31 August 1709) was a member of the Leveson-Gower family. He was the son of Sir William Leveson-Gower, 4th Baronet and his wife Jane Granville. He was born in Sittenham, Yorkshire. His maternal grandparents were John Granville, 1st Earl of Bath and his wife Jane Wyche, daughter of Sir Peter Wyche.
John Leveson-Gower was Tory MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, 1692-1703. He was created Baron Gower of Sittenham in the County of York on 16 March 1703. He was made member of the Privy Council from 1702 to 1707, and he was appointed Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1702 to 1706. He was Commissioner of the Union in 1706. He died on 31 August 1709 in Belvoir Castle, Grantham, Lincolnshire.
- John Leveson-Gower, 1st Earl Gower (1694–1754) who married and had issue from: firstly, Lady Evelyn Pierrepont, daughter of Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull; secondly, Penelope Stonhouse, daughter of Sir John Stonhouse, 7th Baronet; thirdly, Lady Mary Tufton, daughter of Thomas Tufton, 6th Earl of Thanet.
- William Leveson-Gower (d. 1756), MP for Stafford from 1720 to 1754. He married Anne Grosvenor daughter of Sir Thomas Grosvenor and had a daughter Catherine.
- Thomas Leveson-Gower born 6 May 1699, Trentham, Staffordshire, died 12 August 1727, London, unmarried, MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme from 1720 until his death.
- Baptist Leveson-Gower born 1701, died unmarried 4 August 1782, MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme from 1727 to 1761.
- Katherine Leveson-Gower died 20 April 1712, London, buried 1 May 1712, Lilleshall.
- Jane Leveson-Gower (c. 1704–1726), married 5 January 1718– 1719, John Proby, who died 1760 and had issue John Proby, 1st Baron Carysfort. Jane died 10 June 1726.
|Ancestors of John Leveson-Gower, 1st Baron Gower|
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- Record for John Leveson-Gower, 1st Baron Gower at www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk Archived 15 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 June 2009. Retrieved 24 June 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Burkes Peerage (1939 edition), s.v. Sutherland, Duke of
|Parliament of England|
Sir William Leveson-Gower, Bt
Sir Thomas Bellot, Bt
| Member of Parliament for Newcastle-under-Lyme
With: Sir Thomas Bellot, Bt 1692–1695
John Lawton 1695–1698
Sir Thomas Bellot, Bt 1698–1699
Rowland Cotton 1699–1703
The Earl of Stamford
| Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
The Earl of Derby
|Peerage of England|
|New creation|| Baron Gower
|Baronetage of England|