John Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Weimar
John Ernest II (11 September 1627, in Weimar – 15 May 1683, in Weimar), was a duke of Saxe-Weimar. He was the second but eldest surviving son of William, Duke of Saxe-Weimar, and Eleonore Dorothea of Anhalt-Dessau.
|Johann Ernst II|
|Duke of Saxe-Weimar|
|Born||11 September 1627|
|Died||15 May 1683 (aged 55)|
|Spouse||Christine Elisabeth of Holstein-Sonderburg|
|Issue||Anna Dorothea, Abbess of Quedlinburg|
Wilhelmine Christine, Countess of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen
Eleonore Sophie, Duchess of Saxe-Merseburg-Lauchstädt
William Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Weimar
John Ernest III, Duke of Saxe-Weimar
|Father||William, Duke of Saxe-Weimar|
|Mother||Eleonore Dorothea of Anhalt-Dessau|
After the death of his father on 1662, he became reigning duke. In 1672 John Ernest divided his possessions with his younger brothers. He retained Weimar, his brother John George I received Eisenach, and his other brother, Bernhard, received Jena. Eventually, the partitioned lands, Saxe-Weimar, Saxe-Eisenach (1741) and Saxe-Jena (1690) were re-combined.
Like his father, John Ernest was particularly interested in the arts (see Fruitbearing Society). He was also an avid hunter. Given his overriding interest in these pursuits, John Ernest entrusted the reigns of government to his chancellor.
In Weimar on 14 August 1656, John Ernest married Christine Elisabeth, (23 June 1638 – 7 June 1679), a daughter of John Christian, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg (26 April 1607 – 28 June 1653). They had five children:
- Anna Dorothea (b. Weimar, 12 November 1657 - d. Quedlinburg, 23 June 1704), Abbess of Quedlinburg (1685–1704).
- Wilhelmine Christine (b. Weimar, 26 January 1658 - d. Sondershausen, 30 June 1712), married on 25 September 1684 to Christian William of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen.
- Eleonore Sophie (b. Weimar, 22 March 1660 - d. Lauchstädt, 4 February 1687), married on 9 July 1684 to Philipp of Saxe-Merseburg-Lauchstädt.
- William Ernest, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (b. Weimar, 19 October 1662 - d. Weimar, 26 August 1728).
- John Ernest III, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (b. Weimar, 22 June 1664 - d. Weimar, 10 May 1707).
- Ernst Wülcker: Johann Ernst, Herzog von Sachsen-Weimar. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 14, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1881, S. 360–362.
- Karl Helmrich: Geschichte des Grossherzogthums Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, Weimar 1852, S. 102 (Digitalisat)
John Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-WeimarBorn: 11 September 1627 Died: 15 May 1683
| Duke of Saxe-Weimar
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|