John Elderfield (born 25 April 1943) was Chief Curator of Painting and Sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, from 2003 to 2008. He is currently the Allen R. Adler, Class of 1967, Distinguished Curator at the Princeton University Art Museum and Lecturer in the Princeton University Department of Art and Archaeology.
Elderfield joined the Museum of Modern Art, New York, as Curator of Painting and Sculpture in 1975. He served the Museum as Chief Curator at Large from 1993 to 2003. As Chief Curator of Painting and Sculpture at the Museum, he reinstalled that collection in 2004 in its newly rebuilt premises.
Elderfield had published studies of Henri Matisse, Kurt Schwitters, Helen Frankenthaler, Richard Diebenkorn, Howard Hodgkin, and Pierre-Paul Prud'hon. In 1986, Elderfield received the Eric Mitchell Prize for his book on Schwitters.
He served on the board of the Dedalus Foundation, the Members’ Board of the Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C, the American Advisory Committee of the Courtauld Institute of Art, the American Committee of the Praemium Imperiale, and the Advisory Committee of the Kate Weare Dance Company; was a Member of the Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers, and an Honorary Member of Proyecto Armando Reverón, Caracas.
- Flight out of Time: a Dada Diary (University of California Press, 1974; revised 1996) ISBN 978-0-520-20440-9
- Kurt Schwitters (New edition 1987), Thames & Hudson, ISBN 978-0-500-27474-3
- Modern Painting And Sculpture: 1880 to Present at the Museum of Modern Art ISBN 0-87070-576-8
- Henri Matisse: A retrospective ISBN 0-87070-432-X
- Helen Frankenthaler ISBN 0-8109-0916-2
- Language of the Body: drawings by Pierre-Paul Prud'hon ISBN 0-8109-3585-6
- Who’s Who 2011, A&C Black, 2011
- "News at Princeton: Princeton University Art Museum names Elderfield distinguished curator, lecturer". www.princeton.edu. December 22, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- "John Elderfield, Former Chief Curator at Museum of Modern Art, to Join the Princeton University Art Museum". artmuseum.princeton.edu. December 19, 2014. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- Battersby, Matilda (September 2, 2010). "Bob Dylan paintings at Danish National Gallery". The Independent. London. Retrieved September 9, 2010.
- "Bob Dylan. The Brazil Series". Statens Museum for Kunst.dk. September 1, 2010. Archived from the original on July 9, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- John Elderfield Archived 2012-01-31 at the Wayback Machine Dedalus Foundation, New York.
|This biographical article about an American art historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|