John Dalrymple, 10th Earl of Stair
John Hamilton Dalrymple, 10th Earl of Stair KT (1 April 1819 – 3 December 1903), styled Viscount Dalrymple from 1853 until 1864, was a Scottish peer and politician, who served as Governor of the Bank of Scotland for thirty-three years.
He was the eldest son of North Dalrymple, 9th Earl of Stair, and married Louisa-Jane-Henrietta-Emily, eldest daughter of the 3rd Duc de Coigny, in 1846. They had 6 children:
- John Dalrymple, 11th Earl of Stair (1848–1914)
- Lady Jane Georgina Dalrymple (1850 − 8 June 1914; twin), married Sir Arthur Vivian and had issue
- Lady Anne Henrietta Dalrymple (1850 – 18 Feb 1899; twin), married Major-Gen. William Vesey Brownlow and had no issue
- Hon. North de Coigny Dalrymple-Hamilton (31 October 1853 – 9 November 1906), married Marcia Liddell and had issue, including Frederick Dalrymple-Hamilton
- Hon. Sir Hew Hamilton Dalrymple KCVO (27 September 1857 – 11 July 1945), unmarried and had no issue
- Rev. the Hon. Robert McGill Dalrymple (b. 1862), Vicar of Sneinton, Nottingham
He represented Wigtownshire in Parliament from 1841 to 1856. He became Earl of Stair on the death of his father in 1864, and served as Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire from 1870 to 1897. From 1870 to 1903 he was the Governor of the Bank of Scotland. After it was proposed in 1877, he successfully opposed the southward extension to Drummore of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway. He also served as Lord High Commissioner to the Church of Scotland from 1869 to 1871.
- "Person Page". The Peerage. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Dewar, Peter Beauclerk. Burke's Landed Gentry the Kingdom in Scotland. Burke's Peerage and Gentry. ISBN 9780971196605. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Death Certificate of Sir Hew, District of Canongate & Portobello, City of Edinburgh, 1945, p. 115, No. 343
- "University of Glasgow :: Story :: Biography of John Hamilton Dalrymple 10th Earl of Stair". www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- Oliver & Boyd's new Edinburgh almanac and national repository for the year 1850. Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh, 1850
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Stair
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Wigtownshire
Sir Andrew Agnew, Bt
The Duke of Buccleuch
| Chancellor of the University of Glasgow
Sir William Thomson
The Earl of Galloway
| Lord Lieutenant of Wigtown
Sir Herbert Maxwell
The Marquess of Ailsa
| Lord Lieutenant of Ayrshire
The Earl of Eglinton
|Peerage of Scotland|
North Hamilton Dalrymple
| Earl of Stair