John Barry Nusum
|Full name||John Barry Nusum|
|Date of birth||March 18, 1981|
|Place of birth||Mineola, New York, United States|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|2005–2006||Virginia Beach Mariners||40||(7)|
|2004–2009||Philadelphia KiXX (indoor)|
|2009||Crystal Palace Baltimore||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Nusum grew up in Devonshire, Bermuda, before returning to the United States to play college soccer at Furman University. At Furman he was named a NSCAA All-American three times. He is also currently the school's all-time leader in goals scored (61) and points (161).
After graduating from Furman, Nusum was selected 35th overall in the 2002 MLS SuperDraft by the Columbus Crew. Unsuccessful in making the Crew, he instead spent two seasons with the A-League's Atlanta Silverbacks, scoring ten goals with three assists in 44 games, before joining the Toronto Lynx for the 2004 A-League season, finishing with 4 goals in 25 games. Nusum also has extensive professional indoor soccer experience, having played with the Philadelphia KiXX since 2004. He was the 2005 MISL Rookie of the Year. In 2007, the KiXX MISL championship. In 2005 and 2006, he played for the Virginia Beach Mariners. In 2008, he was with the Bermuda Hogges. On March 2, 2009, he signed with Crystal Palace Baltimore.
He returned to Bermuda to become player/manager at Wolves, only to be replaced by Don Vickers for him to concentrate on playing.
Nusum was a mainstay in, and captain of, the Bermudian national team, leading the team in goals during the 2006 World Cup Qualifying round. He scored two goals to lead Bermuda to a 2-1 win at Trinidad and Tobago in the second round of 2010 World Cup qualifying. He quit the national team in 2013 and is Bermuda's record international goalscorer.
He was named assistant coach at the national team set-up in December 2014, while still playing for Robin Hood.
- (correct as of September 29, 2009)
|Virginia Beach Mariners||2005||19||4||?||?||?||?||-||-||-||19||4||?|
|Virginia Beach Mariners||2006||21||3||?||?||?||?||-||-||-||21||3||?|
|Crystal Palace Baltimore||2009||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0||0|
John is the nephew of former Bermudian international goalkeeper and New York Cosmos star Sam Nusum and the son of John Nusum. Nusum is a teacher at Saltus Grammar School, Bermuda, where he teaches the subjects of Physical Education and Sociology.
- KiXX' John Barry Nusum Named Rookie of the Year
- "Palace Signs Top Bermuda Striker," Crystal Palace Baltimore, Monday, March 2, 2009.[dead link]
- Hornets favourites to defend title - Royal Gazette
- FIFA match report
- Final hurrah for Nusum and Ming - Royal Gazette
- We didn’t respect England C enough, says Nusum - Royal Gazette
- Nusum injured as Rams claim double - Royal Gazette
- Includes Lamar Hunt US Open Cup
- John Barry Nusum at National-Football-Teams.com
- "Crystal Palace Baltimore bio". Archived from the original on 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- "Philadelphia KiXX bio". Archived from the original on 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- Players inducted into Hall of Fame
- John Barry Nusum – FIFA competition record