McGuckin attended Heythrop College from 1970 to 1972, graduated from the University of London with a divinity degree in 1975, a Certificate in Education from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1979, his Ph.D. from Durham University in 1980, and an M.A. in educational studies from the University of Southampton in 1986.
Professional life and affiliationsEdit
McGuckin was a Reader in Patristic and Byzantine theology at the University of Leeds. McGuckin was the Nielsen Professor of Early Church History at Union Theological Seminary and Professor of Byzantine Christian Studies at Columbia University in New York City.
He is an archpriest of the Romanian Orthodox Church and rector of the Orthodox Church in Lytham St. Annes, England. He currently serves on the faculty of church history at Oxford University, and is a fellow of the Royal Historical Society of the United Kingdom.
He has written books on Church Fathers such as Cyril of Alexandria, Gregory of Nazianzus and Origen, among others. His work includes New Testament interpretation, patristics, the history of the Byzantine Empire, and Orthodox theology. He is a scholar of Eastern Christian history.
He is a fellow of both the Royal Society of Arts and the Royal Historical Society. He is director of the Sophia Institute: International Center for Orthodox Thought and Culture, which has its offices on the Union Seminary campus in Manhattan. In 1992 he was given the award of the Brotherhood of Peter Mohyla for his educational services at the Mohyla Academy in the newly independent Ukraine and gave a course of lectures in Patristic theology in the academy buildings after they had been taken back from the possession of the Naval Academy. He was awarded the Jeweled Cross of Moldavia and Bukovina by Romanian Patriarch Daniel in 2007 for his services to the church and the academy. On 31 January 2014, McGuckin was awarded the Jeweled Cross by Metropolitan Tikhon of Washington for his services to church and academy. On the occasion of his delivering the 31st Annual Schmemann lecture at St. Vladimir's in 2014 he was awarded the Doctorate of Divinity Honoris Causa and in 2015 he received an honorary doctorate from the Andrei Saguna School of Theology at Sibiu's Lucian Blaga University.
- McGuckin, John A. (1982). St Symeon the New Theologian: Chapters and Discourses.
- ——— (1986). The Transfiguration of Christ in Scripture and Tradition. ISBN 0-88946-609-2.
- ——— (1986). Selected Poems of St Gregory Nazianzen.
- ——— (1994). St. Cyril of Alexandria: The Christological Controversy. ISBN 0-88141-259-7.
- ——— (1994). Byzantium and Other Poems. Black Gate Press.
- ——— (1995). At the Lighting of the Lamps: Hymns from the Ancient Church. ISBN 0-8192-1717-4.
- ——— (2000). St. Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography. ISBN 0-88141-222-8. - nominated for the 2002 Pollock Biography Prize
- ——— (2001). Standing in God's Holy Fire: The Spiritual Tradition of Byzantium. Orbis. ISBN 1-57075-382-2.
- ——— (2002). The Book of Mystical Chapters. Shambhala. ISBN 1-59030-007-6.
- ——— (2004). The Westminster Handbook To Patristic Theology. ISBN 0-664-22396-6.
- ——— (2004). The Westminster Handbook To Origen. ISBN 0-664-22472-5.
- ——— (2008). The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to its History, Theology, & Spiritual Culture.
- ——— (2017). The Path of Christianity: The First Thousand Years. InterVarsity Press.
- ——— (2017). Witnessing the Kingdom:Studies in New Testament History and Theology. Collected Works. vol. 1. New York: SVS Press.
- ——— (2017). Seeing the Glory: Studies in Patristic Theology. Collected works vol. 2. New York: SVS Press.
- ——— (2017). Illumined in the Spirit: Studies in Orthodox Spirituality. Collected works. vol. 3. New York: SVS Press.
- ——— (2020). The Eastern Orthodox Church: A New History. Yale University Press.CS1 maint: date and year (link)
- ———, ed. (2011). The Encyclopedia of Eastern Orthodox Christianity (A-M). 1. Malden, MA & Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 9781405185394. OCLC 874579924.
- ———, ed. (2011). The Encyclopedia of Eastern Orthodox Christianity (N-Z). 2. Malden, MA & Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. OCLC 888725802.
- "John McGuckin". Department of Religion. Columbia University in the City of New York. Archived from the original on 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "Fr. John McGuckin Delivers Fr. Alexander Schmemann Lecture". St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- McGuckin, John Anthony (2011). "The Encyclopedia of Eastern Orthodox Christianity - volume 1". Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- McGuckin, John Anthony (2011). The Encyclopedia of Eastern Orthodox Christianity - volume 2. ISBN 9781405185394. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- Curriculum Vitae : Revd. Professor John Anthony McGuckin.
- Faculty page at Union Seminary
- Eileen McGuckin's iconography
- The Road to Nicaea —one of his essays, a description of
- Saint Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Mission English language parish at Union Seminary.
- The Sophia Institute
- The 31st Annual Schmemann lecture at St. Vladimir's, 2014