Johannes Bruno Ertl, known as Johnny Ertl (born 13 November 1982) is an Austrian former footballer who primarily played as a defensive midfielder, although he could also play at the right or centre of defence.
|Full name||Johannes Bruno Ertl|
|Date of birth||13 November 1982|
|Place of birth||Graz, Austria|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive Midfielder|
|Portsmouth (under-16s coach)|
|2003–2004||→ SC Kalsdorf (loan)||11||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
During his career, Ertl notably represented Sturm Graz, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and Portsmouth; after retiring from playing in 2015, he became the spokesman of the Portsmouth F.C. supporters' trust, also taking on a role as the assistant coach of the Portsmouth under-16s.
Ertl began his career in the youth team of SV Feldkirchen, before joining Sturm Graz in 1996. He played for the club's youth categories and earned himself a professional contract at his hometown club in 2003. He joined SC Kalsdorf on loan in 2003 and enjoyed a successful spell there.
When he returned to the Blackies he earned a place in the centre of defence and after impressive displays at the heart of the Graz defence was called up to the Austria squad, making his début in a match against Hungary replacing Paul Scharner on 87 minutes.
In the summer of 2006 Ertl transferred from the Blackies to Austrian giants Austria Wien, spending two years in the capital with the 'violets' before moving to England to join Crystal Palace. His first goal for Palace came in the FA Cup against Aston Villa on 14 February 2010.
Ertl's contract expired at the end of the 2009–10 season, and with Palace in financial trouble, he signed for Sheffield United. Unfortunately he had swapped one relegation battle for another as The Blades struggled at the wrong end of the table. Ertl was a regular in the first team until an injury to his cruciate ligament ended his season in March 2011 and kept him out of the side for almost eight months as the team slipped into League One.
After a lengthy recovery he returned to the first team squad making four substitute appearances in December before returning to the starting eleven in an FA Cup game against Salisbury City in January 2012. After a handful more appearances Ertl was released at the end of the season when his contract expired.
On 31 August 2012, Ertl joined Portsmouth on a short-term contract. He made his debut a day later, scoring an own goal in a 0–1 home defeat against Oldham. After playing in centre back and right back roles Ertl finally found his feet in midfield. On New Year's Day, he was handed the captain armband, with Brian Howard being sidelined by injury; after Howard's departure, he was named permanent captain. Ertl finished the 2012–13 season by receiving the fans' Player of the Season award.
Club career statisticsEdit
- As of 2 May 2015.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other1||Total|
- "Professional retain lists & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. May 2013. p. 4. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 August 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Ertl Becomes The Third Signing Of The Summer". cpfc.co.uk. 10 July 2008. Archived from the original on 15 April 2012. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Crystal Palace 2–2 Aston Villa". BBC Sport. 14 February 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Johannes Ertl wechselt zu Sheffield United". kleinezeitung.at. 9 June 2010. Archived from the original on 4 April 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- "Wilson hails United defender's speedy recovery". The Sheffield Star. 26 November 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "New celebration for Johnny". The Sheffield Star. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "Trio offered new deals - 11 released". Sheffield United F.C. 30 May 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2012. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Portsmouth sign ex-Blade Johnny Ertl on one month deal". BBC Sport. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Portsmouth 0-1 Oldham". BBC Sport. 1 September 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Whittingham: Ertl will remain my captain fantastic". Portsmouth News. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Seven Changes For Pompey". Portsmouth F.C. 26 January 2013. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Ertl: It's a lifetime best". Portsmouth News. 22 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Ertl Pens New Pompey Deal". Portsmouth FC. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Ertl scores first goal for Portsmouth". Portsmouth News. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "ERTL DEPARTS POMPEY". Portsmouth F.C. 22 July 2015.