Kappelhof with Chicago Fire in 2017
|Full name||Johan Kappelhof|
|Date of birth||5 August 1990|
|Place of birth||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 October 2019|
At Groningen he made his debut in 2011 before helping the Green-White Armes win the KNVB Cup in 2014/15 against defending champions PEC Zwolle. It was their first major trophy and they qualified for the UEFA Europa League. He played in all 6 of Gronigen’s Europe league group games.
He joined Chicago Fire ahead of the 2016 season. In 2017 he was voted Chicago Fire’s defender of the year after 4 assists in 33 matches. He was also selected in the 2017 MLS all star game. In March 2017 he set a record for the most clearances and tackles made in a single MLS match since OPTA records began.
Kappelhof has a Ghanaian mother and a Dutch father.
- "Johan Kappelhof profile". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Dutch defender Johan Kappelhof 'feels at home' with the Fire". 5 August 2016.
- "Groningen claim first trophy with KNVB Cup triumph". Goal.com. 4 May 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "PEC Zwolle vs. Groningen - 3 May 2015 - Soccerway". za.soccerway.com.
- "Johan Kappelhof". Chicago Fire. 2017-11-04. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- March 12, 201712:51AM EST (2017-03-11). "Chicago Fire defender Johan Kappelhof makes history on Saturday". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- "Ghanaian defender Johna Kappelhof scores in FC Groningen goal rout in Dutch Cup". Ghana Soccernet. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Voetbal International profile (in Dutch)
- Netherlands stats at OnsOranje at the Wayback Machine (archived 2012-09-22)
- Johan Kappelhof at Major League Soccer
|This biographical article related to association football in the Netherlands, about a defender, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|