Jofra Chioke Archer (born 1 April 1995) is a Barbadian-born English cricketer who plays for Sussex County Cricket Club. In April 2019, Archer was selected to play for the England cricket team in limited overs fixtures against Ireland and Pakistan. Archer made his international debut for England in May 2019, and played in the Cricket World Cup later the same month.
|Full name||Jofra Chioke Archer|
|Born||1 April 1995|
|ODI debut (cap 252)||3 May 2019 v Ireland|
|Last ODI||14 June 2019 v West Indies|
|Only T20I (cap 83)||5 May 2019 v Pakistan|
|Domestic team information|
Source: Cricinfo, 14 June 2019
Early life and England eligibilityEdit
Archer has an English father, and British passport, but initially was not eligible to play for England until the winter of 2022. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) rules stated that as he did not live in England until after his 18th birthday, he needed to complete a seven-year residency period. Archer played for West Indies Under-19s three times in 2014, but had signalled his intention to make himself available to England once his residency period was complete. However, in November 2018, the ECB announced a change to its rules, reducing the eligibility period from seven years to three to bring it into line with ICC regulations.
On 8 July 2016 he made his first-class debut for Sussex during Pakistan's tour of England. On 24 July 2016, he made his List A debut against Gloucestershire in the 2016 Royal London One-Day Cup.
In January 2018, he was bought by the Rajasthan Royals in the 2018 IPL auction for £800,000. On 22 April 2018, against the Mumbai Indians on his Indian Premier League (IPL) debut, he took three wickets and was named the player of the match.
In April 2019, Archer was named in England's squads for the limited overs series against Pakistan and the one-off One Day International (ODI) against Ireland. He made his ODI debut for England against Ireland on 3 May 2019. He made his Twenty20 International (T20I) debut for England against Pakistan on 5 May 2019.
Archer was not included in England's preliminary squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup. Former England cricketer Andrew Flintoff said he would drop "anyone" from the squad to include Archer. On 21 May 2019, England finalised their squad for the World Cup, with Archer named in the final fifteen-man team.
- "Jofra Archer". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Jofra Archer: England do not pick pace bowler in provisional World Cup squad". BBC Sport. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Jofra Archer will make England debut in Friday's ODI against Ireland". The Telegraph. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer lead England to imposing win". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Jofra Archer: England's Chris Jordan says 'world is all-rounder's oyster'". 6 March 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Jofra Archer's England World Cup chances played down - but not ruled out". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Jofra Archer: Why has an IPL team just paid £800,000 for a little-known cricketer?". BBC Sport. 1 February 2018. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Jofra Archer could play for England at World Cup after ECB amend eligibility rules". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Jofra Archer could play for England next year after ECB changes residency rules". BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Pakistan tour of England and Ireland, Tour Match: Sussex v Pakistanis at Hove, Jul 8-10, 2016". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Royal London One-Day Cup, South Group: Gloucestershire v Sussex at Cheltenham, Jul 24, 2016". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "List of sold and unsold players". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "21st match (N), Indian Premier League at Jaipur, Apr 22 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Archer, Gowtham hand Mumbai another final-over defeat". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "An IPL debut to remember for Jofra Archer". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Jofra Archer trumps Eoin Morgan with last-over hat-trick". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "England name preliminary ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Squad". England and Wales Cricket Board. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Jofra Archer: How did England debutant perform against Ireland?". 3 May 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Only ODI, England tour of Ireland at Dublin, May 3 2019". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Only T20I, Pakistan tour of England at Cardiff, May 5 2019". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Jofra Archer: England should drop 'anyone' for all-rounder in World Cup - Andrew Flintoff". BBC Sport. 7 May 2019.
- "World Cup: England name Jofra Archer, Tom Curran & Liam Dawson in squad". BBC Sport. Retrieved 21 May 2019.