Joseph Mazzarino (born June 4, 1968) is an American actor, puppeteer, writer and director. He is best known for his roles on Sesame Street as Murray Monster, Stinky the Stinkweed and other Muppets, and being Head Writer and Director on Sesame Street, winning 22 Emmy Awards for his work.
June 4, 1968
New York City, New York, U.S.
Former Muppet performer Camille Bonora influenced Mazzarino when she taught an improvisation class at his university, and eventually introduced him to Jim Henson. Mazzarino later became the head writer for Sesame Street and also worked on The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, Muppets from Space, and Kermit's Swamp Years.
When Mazzarino auditioned for Sesame Street, he wrote a sketch called "Colambo" and soon found himself cast in the title role. Since then, he had been a prominent member of the Sesame Street cast where he performed Horatio the Elephant, Ingrid, Murray Monster, Papa Bear, Stinky the Stinkweed, and various characters until 2015, when he resigned.
Mazzarino spent the past few years as a writer/producer on the Showtime original series Kidding starring Jim Carrey. He directed all 13 episodes of the Julie Andrews’ Netflix series Julie’s Greenroom, where he also served as a writer. Mazzarino spent over 20 years on Sesame Street in multiple roles: Head Writer, Director, Lyricist and Muppet performer. He received 25 Emmy Awards for his work in multiple categories (Outstanding Original Song, Outstanding Writing, Outstanding Direction and Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series).
Mazzarino is married to actress Kerry Butler. They have two adopted daughters, one named Segi for whom he wrote the Sesame Street song "I Love My Hair". The Muppet who sang the song was also named Segi.
- 30 Rock - puppeteer (“Apollo, Apollo”)
- Aliens in the Family – Spit (voice)
- Big Bag – Chelli, Lyle the Sock
- Blue's Room – Boogie Woogie, Roary, Sprinkles (season 2)
- CityKids – Captain (Inside the Head)
- Cyberchase – Matt (Pilot)
- Dog City – Artie Springer
- Donkey Hodie – Game Show Gator
- Elmo's World – Big Foot, Brown Bunny (in "Elmo Has Two! Hands, Ears & Feet"), Papa Bear, Ingrid, Stinky the Stinkweed, Old McDonald, The Two Headed Monster (left-head)
- Jack's Big Music Show – Spunky the Alien and Henry the Monster
- Journey to Ernie – The Mighty Joke Tree, Sammy (squirrel), Artist Walrus, Penguin (voice), Kittens 2 and 3
- Muppet Time – Icky No-No, Kirby, one of the Frog Scouts
- Nick Jr. – Flexy ("Little Big Room" segments), Tube, Smelly ("Play Along" segments)
- Nature Cat – Cruiser
- Panwapa – Bill the Bug
- Sesame Street – Murray Monster, Blögg ("Abby's Flying Fairy School" segments), Colambo, Horatio the Elephant, Ingrid, Joey Monkey, Merry Monster, Narf, Old MacDonald, Papa Bear, Stinky the Stinkweed, Two-Headed Monster (left head, 2001–2016), The Fairy Godperson, Zostic ("Super Morphin Mega Monsters" segments)
- Sheep in the Big City – General Lee Outrageous, Buddy Somebody, Count D'Ten
- The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss – Elwood the Jester (in "The King's Beard"), Lester McBird (in "Lester Leaps In")
- Team Umizoomi - Brachiosaurus (voice) (Uncredited)
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Pupazza
- A Sesame Street Christmas Carol – Joe Marley, Joey Dickens
- CinderElmo – King Fred, Blue Mouse
- 123 Count with Me – Ingrid
- Elmo Says BOO! – Joey Monkey, Sir Count-A-Lot
- Elmo's Christmas Countdown – Papa Bear, Stan the Snowball
- The Wild Wild West - Narf (Monster Clubhouse segment only)
- Elmopalooza – Horatio the Elephant
- Ghost Town – Food Delivery Guy
- Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake – Additional Muppet Performer
- Kermit's Swamp Years – Goggles the Toad, Turtle No. 1
- Muppet Meeting Films – Gimley's Boss, Wesley, Franklin (2nd Time), Coffee Guy, Smerdley (2nd Time)
- Billy Bunny's Animal Songs – Frog, Gopher
- Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration! – Joey Monkey, Merry Monster
- Sesame Street Celebrates Around the World – MNN Logo Purple Monster
- Sesame Street Jam: A Musical Celebration – Joey Monkey, Merry Monster
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland – Bug
- The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson – Additional Muppets
- Demon Days Live - 2-D (Puppetry only, uncredited)
- Bear in the Big Blue House – Writer ("The Yard Sale" episode)
- Elmo's Christmas Countdown – Writer
- Elmopalooza – Writer
- Julie's Greenroom – Director/Writer/Co-Producer
- Kermit's Swamp Years – Screenplay Co-Writer
- Muppets from Space – Screenplay Co-Writer
- Sesame Street – Writer/Director
- Sheep in the Big City – Writer
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland – Screenplay Co-Writer
- The Upside Down Show – Writer
- Kidding – Writer
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Daytime Emmy Award Nominations
- Director's Guild of America Nominations
- "Interview With Sesame Street Head Writer Joey Mazzarino". April 5, 2015.
- Hennes, Joe (February 23, 2009). "A Chat with Joey Mazzarino, part 1". ToughPigs.com. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- Butler, Kerry (September 24, 2007). "Kerry Butler". Broadway Buzz (Interview). Interviewed by Kathy Henderson – via Broadway.com.
- "'I Love My Hair': A Father's Tribute To His Daughter". NPR. October 18, 2010.
- "WINNERS ANNOUNCED FOR 2009 WRITERS GUILD AWARDS | Press Room". Writers Guild of America, East. February 8, 2009. Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- "Awards / History / 2014". www.dga.org. Retrieved January 14, 2021.
- "Awards / History / 2015". www.dga.org. Retrieved January 14, 2021.