Joey Batey is an English actor, musician, singer and songwriter. He is known for portraying the bard Jaskier in the Netflix fantasy series The Witcher. He is also known for singing the song "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher", which was used in the series.
|Born||1 January 1989|
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Occupation||Actor and musician|
Life and careerEdit
Batey was born in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1989. He has said he grew up in a "musical family" and has always been around music. He studied at Robinson College, Cambridge. Whilst at Cambridge, he co-wrote and performed the sketch show ‘Good Clean Men’ with Alex Owen and Ben Ashenden (The Pin).He began studies at L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq, but left after a few weeks. He has never trained.
In 2013, Batey debuted in a British thriller Murder on the Home Front directed by Geoffrey Sax. In 2014, he appeared in The Riot Club directed by Lone Scherfig. In 2017, Paul McGuigan cast him as Eddie in Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. Batey also played in the British TV series C.B. Strike (2017), In The Dark (2017), and Knightfall (2017).
He played the bard Jaskier in Netflix's adaptation of The Witcher, based on the Polish novel series of the same name. Batey's performance is notable due to his vocal prowess, which spawned the hit songs "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" and "Her Sweet Kiss."
He is a vocalist and musician for the indie folk band The Amazing Devil, as well as the primary writer and composer. Their most recent album, The Horror and The Wild, was released on 29 February 2020.
|2014||The Riot Club||Eager Chap|
|2016||Bloody Cakes||Colin Montcrawknox||Unreleased|
|2017||Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool||Eddie||Uncredited|
|2013||Murder on the Home Front||Dixie||Television film|
|2013||The White Queen||Edward of Lancaster||2 episodes|
|2013||Whitechapel||Gavin Redman||2 episodes|
|2016||Mount Pleasant||Gopher||3 episodes|
|2017||In the Dark||Shelley||2 episodes|
|2017||Strike||Al Rokeby||2 episodes|
|2018||Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators||Callum Ballimore||Series 1, episode 4: "This Rough Magic"|
|2018||Stan Lee's Lucky Man||Bobby Hayes||Series 3, episode 2: "Run Rabbit Run"|
|2019||The War of the Worlds||Henderson||Series 1, episode 1|
|2019–present||The Witcher||Jaskier||Main role|
- Finger, Bobby (Host) (25 February 2020). "The Witcher (ft. Joey Batey)" (Podcast). I'm Obsessed With This (Netflix). Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Good Clean Men". Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Reynolds, George (6 November 2009). "Good. Clean. Men". Varsity. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- "Joey Batey". Unitedagents.co.uk.
- "Biography". IMDb.com.
- Petski, Denise (31 October 2018). "'The Witcher': First Look At Henry Cavill As Geralt Of Rivia; Netflix Rounds Out Cast As Production Begins". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on 1 November 2018. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- Davies, Mike (19 July 2016). "The Amazing Devil: Love Run – Album Review". Folk Radio. Retrieved 5 January 2020.
- "The Horror and the Wild, by The Amazing Devil". Theamazingdevil.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 1 August 2020.