Joseph Patrick "Joe" Lockhart (born July 13, 1959) is a spokesman and communications consultant, best known for being the White House Press Secretary from October 5, 1998 to September 29, 2000, during the administration of U.S. President Bill Clinton. He worked as press secretary for several Democratic politicians, including Walter Mondale, Paul Simon, and Michael Dukakis; he was an advisor to John Kerry during his 2004 presidential campaign. He subsequently founded and became managing director of the communications consulting firm Glover Park Group, a position he held until June 2011, when Facebook recruited him to become its company spokesman. In 2013, he rejoined Glover Park Group.
|White House Press Secretary|
August 4, 1998 – September 29, 2000
|Preceded by||Mike McCurry|
|Succeeded by||Jake Siewert|
|Born||Joseph Patrick Lockhart
July 13, 1959
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Georgetown University (BA)|
Early life and careerEdit
Born in The Bronx, Lockhart is the son of Raymond Lockhart, a longtime NBC producer associated with the Huntley-Brinkley Report and special-events coverage. He was born in the Bronx, and grew up in Suffern, New York. In 1978 he moved to Washington D.C. to attend Georgetown University where he received a BA in History. In 1980, he worked on Jimmy Carter's presidential reelection campaign.
He was press secretary for the 1984 presidential campaign of Walter Mondale, then worked for Paul Simon in the Senate. Stints with ABC and CNN followed, then the Michael Dukakis campaign. He moved to Robinson, Lake, Lerer & Montgomery with Mike McCurry, then back to ABC when they hired his (former) wife and colleague from the Mondale campaign Laura Logan. Another gig with NBC covering the Romanian Revolution of 1989 preceded his first on-air job with Sky News reporting on the Gulf War and then business. Private practice with Robinson, Lake followed, where he handled publicity for the Al Nahayan family during parts of the BCCI scandal.
Clinton presidential campaign and the White HouseEdit
At a time when Lockhart was considering working for AOL, Mike McCurry recruited Lockhart back into politics, and he joined the 1996 Clinton re-election campaign. He served as the campaign spokesman and, following President Clinton's successful reelection, as Deputy Press Secretary to McCurry. After standing in for him on occasion to brief the press, Lockhart eventually succeeded McCurry and delivered his first briefing as Press Secretary on October 5, 1998.
Lockhart handled the press during the Clinton impeachment trials.
After the White HouseEdit
On September 8, 2004, CBS News aired a controversial report on presidential candidate George W. Bush's military record. The authenticity of the Killian documents used in that report are under scrutiny. In the course of the next few days, it was discovered that Joseph Lockhart, then senior advisor to presidential candidate John Kerry, had made a phone call to Texas National Guard officer, Bill Burkett on September 4, 2004. Lockhart stated later that an unnamed female CBS producer asked him to contact Burkett. Lockhart has denied that the call with Burkett had anything to do with the National Guard issue.
In June 2011 he joined Facebook as the head of the company's corporate, policy and international communications team. Not wanting to relocate to the company's headquarters in Menlo Park, California, he left the company in October 2012.
It was later revealed that President and Mrs. Obama purchased the house from the Lockharts in May 2017, saying that it made sense to own the property since they would still be living in Washington for at least another two years. 
- Michelle Quinn (June 15, 2011). "The new face of Facebook: Lockhart". Politico. Archived from the original on June 20, 2011. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- Joe Lockhart-Founding Partner and Managing Director-The Glover Park Group Archived November 5, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Stout, David (July 24, 1998). "New spokesman heeds hard lesson from 1988". New York Times. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
Joseph Patrick Lockhart was born July 13, 1959, in the Bronx and grew up in Suffern, N.Y.
- Joe Lockhart's Insider Job washingtonpost
- "William J Clinton Press Briefing by Joe Lockhart". The American Presidency Project. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Leibovich, Mark (September 17, 2004). "New Strategists Join Kerry Campaign". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Johnson, Kevin; Moniz, Dave; Drinkard, Jim (2004-09-20). "CBS arranged for meeting with Lockhart". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Kasindorf, Martin; Benedetto, Richard (2004-09-21). "Parties lob accusations over suspect papers". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "The Glover Park Group :: Joe Lockhart". Archived from the original on February 22, 2011. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- Palmer, Anna (October 5, 2012). "A Clintonite's breakup with Facebook". politico.
- Banks, Don New NFL PR czar Joe Lockhart talks Manning, CTE, Trump and more Sports Illustrated. March 22, 2016
- LASKEY, Margaux (2012-12-29). "When the Timing Is Right". New York Times. Retrieved 2015-08-21.
- Sweet, Lynn (2015-05-25). "Obamas' post-White House home: Rental in DC Kalorama neighborhood". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- Krissah Thompson, Kathy Orton, and Emily Heil (May 31, 2017). "The Obamas just bought their rental home in Washington". The Washington Post.