Joe Barry (born July 5, 1970) is an American football Assistant head coach and linebackers coach for the Los Angeles Rams. Barry is the son of former Detroit Lions offensive line coach Mike Barry, and the son-in-law of Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.
Barry at USC in 2010
|Los Angeles Rams|
|Position:||Assistant head coach & linebackers coach|
|Born:||July 5, 1970|
|High school:||Boulder (CO) Fairview|
|College:||Michigan, Southern California|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Coaching stats at PFR|
Barry played linebacker at the University of Michigan from 1989 to 1990 before transferring to the University of Southern California. Prior to coaching in the NFL, Barry held coaching positions in college football at Northern Arizona, UNLV, and USC.
At a press conference on December 21, 2008, following the Lions' 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Rod Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator." (Barry was the Lions' defensive coordinator at the time.) The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack. Parker has not written for the Detroit News since, and has not attended any press conferences since the incident, including the one Marinelli gave following his dismissal as head coach of the Lions. On January 6, 2009, the Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.
Barry signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as linebackers coach. On January 26, 2010, it was announced that the Jaguars released Barry from his contract so he can join the University of Southern California as their linebackers coach. Barry was hired as the Washington Redskins defensive coordinator for the 2015 season, and was fired after the 2016 season.
Los Angeles RamsEdit
- "Fox analysts lambast Detroit News reporter for question to Marinelli". Detroit Free Press. December 21, 2008. Archived from the original on December 26, 2008. Retrieved December 22, 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Parker, Rob (December 22, 2008). "There's more to Marinelli". Detroit News. Retrieved December 22, 2008.[dead link]
- Detroit News Columnist Who Insulted Coach Quits SI.com, January 6, 2009[dead link]
- "Bucs lose Joe Barry to USC; name LBs, DBs coaches". St. Petersburg Times. January 26, 2010. Archived from the original on January 29, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Walker, Andrew. "Redskins Hire Joe Barry As Defensive Coordinator". Redskins.com. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Tesfatsion, Master (January 14, 2016). "Rams hire Joe Barry to coach linebackers". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved January 15, 2016.