Job Creators Network
The organization has received significant funding from the Mercer Family Foundation, a private grant-making foundation that invested about $70 million into conservative causes between 2009 and 2014.
The organization advocates for lower taxes and fewer government regulations.
The organization also runs the "Information Station" website, which offers "explainer" type videos and articles from a pro-business perspective.
Throughout 2017, JCN advocated for tax reform through a campaign dubbed “Tax Cuts Now”, and offered the group’s support to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The Tax Cuts Now campaign included a bus tour that made stops across the country.
In addition to the bus tour, the campaign included advertising in the mediums of print, digital, and television. Notable public figures voiced their support for the campaign including billionaire Steve Forbes and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, who penned an op-ed in USA TODAY with Brad Anderson, former CEO of Best Buy and a member of JCN.
JCN launched another bus tour in 2018, with the goal of touting the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act as a success. Former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan joined JCN at stops on the tour, including one hosted at a small business in Clinton, Wisconsin.
In February 2019, the group put up a billboard in New York City's Times Square blaming U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Amazon's decision to abandon the building of the company's second headquarters in Queens. After the congresswoman tweeted that the billboard was "wack", JCN put up two more billboards, one saying "Hey AOC, saw your wack tweet", the other, "Hey AOC, this billboard cost about $4,000. But you cost NY 25,000 jobs and $4,000,000,000 in annual lost wages."
JCN was founded by Bernie Marcus, the co-founder and former CEO of Home Depot. Since January 2014, the organization's president and CEO is Alfredo Ortiz, a former Pepsi and Kraft executive, while the president and director of communications for the JCN foundation is Elaine Parker. Its members include:
- Voght, Kara (February 23, 2019). "A Shadowy Conservative Group Has Started a Billboard War with AOC. She Refuses to Stand Down". Mother Jones. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
- Carbone, Christopher (February 21, 2019). "Ocasio-Cortez blasts Times Square Amazon billboard as 'wack' and 'billionaire-funded'". Fox News. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
- Alexandra Ma (February 22, 2019). "'Hey AOC, saw your wack tweet': Conservative business group escalates Times Square billboard feud with Ocasio-Cortez over Amazon HQ2 pullout". Business Insider. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Vicky Ward (March 17, 2017). "The blow-it-all-up billionaires; When politicians take money from megadonors, there are strings attached. But with the reclusive duo who propelled Trump into the White House, there's a fuse". The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
According to The Washington Post, the family donated $35 million to conservative think tanks and at least to $36.5 million to individual GOP races.
- "Job Creators Network Launches Major New Campaign to Bring Small Businesses Back". CBS 8. January 13, 2016. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Woodman, Spencer (January 14, 2017). "Force Workers to Watch Anti-Government Propaganda at Work? Trump's Labor Nominee Says Yes". The Nation.
- Network (JCN), Job Creators. "Job Creators Network Forms National Women's Coalition". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Sentinel, Orlando. "Frank Luntz kicks off small biz tour here". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- Jagoda, Naomi (September 5, 2017). "Group launches multimillion dollar campaign for small business tax cuts". TheHill. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Network (JCN), Job Creators. "Steve Forbes Supports Tax Cuts Now Efforts by the Job Creators Network". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- "Gingrich & Anderson: Pass GOP tax cuts by Thanksgiving or get ready for Speaker Pelosi". USA TODAY. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Jagoda, Naomi (April 19, 2018). "Biz group launches bus tour to promote GOP tax law". TheHill. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Nate Jackson. "Ryan praises Jakes Electric, tax cuts in Clinton". GazetteXtra. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Axelrod, Tal (February 20, 2019). "Conservative group blasts Ocasio-Cortez over Amazon with Times Square billboard". The Hill. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- "Labor Board Threatens an American Tradition". The Huffington Post. September 30, 2014. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Feb. 5; 2014. "Former Pepsi, Kraft Leader to Steer Job Creators Network". CSP Daily News. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Gilliland, Donald (December 14, 2018). "Nearly the entire country gets it wrong on the minimum wage". TheHill. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "About". Job Creators Network. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "Raising Fed rate isn't a magic bullet: Column". USA Today. December 20, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Franchise system under threat". Colorado Springs Gazette. February 1, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Higher minimum wage puts the squeeze on business". Miami Herald. September 6, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Presidential candidates take note: Energy independence already achieved". Las Vegas Review-Journal. July 28, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Wages With Minimal Wiggle Room". The Wall Street Journal. December 28, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Job Creators Network Foundation | About". Job Creators Network Foundation. Retrieved June 18, 2019.