Jimi: All Is by My Side
Jimi: All Is by My Side is a 2013 internationally co-produced biographical drama film about Jimi Hendrix, written and directed by John Ridley. The film tells the story of Hendrix's career beginnings, through his arrival in London, the creation of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and the beginning of his fame after his performance at the Monterey Pop Festival. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival and at the South by Southwest film festival and was released in the UK on 8 August 2014. The film screened at the New Zealand International Film Festival (NZIFF) on 26 July 2014.
|Jimi: All Is by My Side|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Ridley|
|Produced by||Danny Bramson|
|Written by||John Ridley|
|Music by||Danny Bramson|
|Edited by||Hank Corwin|
|Distributed by||XLrator Media|
- André 3000 as Jimi Hendrix
- Hayley Atwell as Kathy Etchingham
- Burn Gorman as Michael Jeffery
- Imogen Poots as Linda Keith
- Oliver Bennett as Noel Redding
- Tom Dunlea as Mitch Mitchell
- Andrew Buckley as Chas Chandler
- Ruth Negga as Ida
- Ashley Charles as Keith Richards
- Amy De Bhrún as Phoebe
- Clare-Hope Ashitey as Lithofayne “Faye” Pridgeon
- Laurence Kinlan as John
- Jade Yourell as Roberta Goldstein
- Sam McGovern as Ted
- Robbie Jarvis as Andrew Loog Oldham
- Adrian Lester as Michael X
- Danny McColgan as Eric Clapton
The film does not include any songs written by Hendrix, as the filmmakers' request to use them was denied by Experience Hendrix LLC (Hendrix's estate). Instead, the film set in London in 1966 and 1967 includes the songs that Hendrix performed during those years, shortly before the release of his debut album, Are You Experienced. All musical parts were played by Waddy Wachtel (guitar), Leland Sklar (bass), Kenny Aronoff (drums). Wachtel wrote bits of music for the film that sound similar to the Experience's early songs.
Jimi: All Is by My Side has grossed $340,911 in the United States and Canada and $586,163 in other territories for a worldwide total of $927,074, plus $67,173 with home video sales, against a production budget of $5 million.
Jimi: All Is by My Side received a rating of 67% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 6,01/10 based on 83 reviews. The site's consensus states: "It's uneven—and it lacks the primal power of its subject's classic recordings—but Jimi: All Is By My Side offers a well-acted alternative take on the Hendrix myth." On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 66 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Times, Los Angeles. "How does 'Jimi: All Is by My Side' compare to 2014's other music bios?". Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- "Jimi: All Is by My Side (2014)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "All Is by My Side". TIFF. Archived from the original on 14 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Andre 3000 Covers Beatles, Muddy Waters for Jimi Hendrix Biopic - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Jimi's hands. Waddy Wachtel talks Hendrix - Mono". Mono. Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Jimi: All Is by My Side (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Jimi: All Is by My Side Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 October 2014.