Jim Matheos (born November 22, 1962) is an American guitarist and the primary songwriter for the progressive metal band Fates Warning, in which he has been the only consistent member since the group's beginning. Matheos also plays in OSI alongside Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater), as well as making other appearances with many different bands and artists.
|Born||November 22, 1962|
Westfield, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, keyboards, programming|
|Associated acts||Fates Warning, OSI|
In 2003, Matheos collaborated with original Fates Warning vocalist John Arch on 2003's A Twist of Fate, Arch's first professional recording since leaving Fates Warning in 1987. The two later collaborated as Arch/Matheos, releasing a full-length album entitled Sympathetic Resonance in 2011.
Fates Warning has released twelve studio albums since their formation in 1982. Their latest studio album, Theories of Flight, was released in 2016 and their latest live album Live Over Europe, was released in 2018.
On February 17, 2014, Matheos released an experimental guitar album called Halo Effect. It was released by the independent record label Burning Shed.
With Fates WarningEdit
- Night on Bröcken (1984)
- The Spectre Within (1985)
- Awaken the Guardian (1986)
- No Exit (1988) (Reissued 2007)
- Perfect Symmetry (1989)
- Parallels (1991)
- Inside Out (1994)
- Chasing Time (1995)
- A Pleasant Shade of Gray (1997)
- Still Life (1998)
- Disconnected (2000)
- FWX (2004)
- Darkness in a Different Light (2013)
- Theories of Flight (2016)
- Live Over Europe (2018)
With Gordian KnotEdit
- Emergent (2003)
With John ArchEdit
- A Twist of Fate (2003)
With John Arch (Arch/Matheos)Edit
With Memories of MachinesEdit
- Warm Winter (2011)
Guitar Rig & Signal FlowEdit
A detailed gear diagram of Jim Matheos' 2012 Fates Warning guitar rig is well-documented.
- Huey, Steve. "Biography: Jim Matheos". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- "Metal Blade Records". metalblade.com.
- "Metal Blade Records". https://www.metalblade.com/archmatheos. External link in
- Taylor, Robert. "Review: First Impressions". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Huey, Steve. "Review: Away with Words". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- "Burning Shed". burningshed.com.
- Cooper, Adam (November 18, 2011). "Jim Matheos' 2011 Fates Warning Guitar Rig" Archived March 3, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. GuitarGeek.Com