|Born||January 4, 1961|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Highest ranking||No. 96 (September 12, 1983)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||2R (1981, 1983)|
|French Open||2R (1983)|
|US Open||1R (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987)|
|Highest ranking||No. 100 (June 25, 1984)|
Gurfein was born in New York, New York, and is Jewish. Gurfein grew up in Great Neck, New York. He attended Great Neck North High School and Stanford University. While on tour, Gurfein kept a residence in Atlanta, Georgia.
Gurfein was runner-up of the 1981 NCAA singles tennis championship, falling to Stanford University teammate Tim Mayotte, and was an All American that year with teammates Mayotte, Scott Bondurant, and Scott Davis. He was a member of the U.S. Junior Davis Cup team in 1981.
In 1982, he won a doubles title in Cairo with Drew Gitlin. In July 1983, the 22-year-old Gurfein defeated world #22 Henri Leconte of France in a tournament in North Conway, New Hampshire, and upset world #34 Christophe Roger-Vasselin in the Swedish Open in Båstad, Sweden.
In 1984, he won the USTA Hawaiian Satellite tournament. In 1988, he defeated world #31 Michiel Schapers of the Netherlands in straight sets in a tournament in Key Biscayne, Florida and was a doubles winner in Seattle with Buff Farrow).
Singles (1 loss)Edit
|Loss||0–1||Nov 1982||Bangkok, Thailand||Carpet (i)||Mike Bauer||1–6, 2–6|
Doubles (1 win, 3 losses)Edit
|Loss||0–1||Sep 1981||Bordeaux, France||Clay||Anders Järryd|| Andrés Gómez
|Loss||0–2||Nov 1981||Manila, Philippines||Clay||Drew Gitlin|| Mike Bauer
|Win||1–2||Feb 1982||Cairo, Egypt||Clay||Drew Gitlin|| Heinz Günthardt
|Loss||0–3||Oct 1983||Barcelona, Spain||Clay||Erick Iskersky|| Anders Järryd
- "Jim GURFEIN". itftennis.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Sheldon Wallman (March 12, 1982). "The Sports Scene". Jewish Post.
- "Jim Gurfein Profile". ATP ChampionsTour. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Jim Gurfein | Bio | Tennis". ATP Tour.
- "All-Americans". Stanford University Athletics.
- "Jim Gurfein | Player Activity | Tennis". ATP Tour.
- "Unseeded Americans Jim Gurfein and Scott Lipy n upset..." UPI. July 13, 1983.
- "Jim Gurfein | Overview | ATP World Tour | Tennis". ATP World Tour. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Jim Gurfein ATP Match Results, Splits, and Analysis". Tennis Abstract. Retrieved February 7, 2018.