James Graham Bentley (born 11 June 1976) is an English professional football manager and former player who played as a centre back. He is the manager of club AFC Fylde after leaving his post at Morecambe.
|Full name||James Graham Bentley|
|Date of birth||11 June 1976|
|Place of birth||Liverpool, England|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
In June 2010, Bentley was appointed player-coach, having spent the previous season in a coaching role with the reserve team.
On 13 May 2011, Bentley was appointed the player-manager of Morecambe on a two-year contract, but since then he has concentrated on the managerial role and has not played a competitive match since taking on that post. He signed a two-year contract extension with the Shrimps on 10 October 2013. A further two-year contract extension was agreed with Morecambe on 29 August 2015. Ken McKenna also agreed the same deal with the League Two club. On 13 October 2017, Bentley and McKenna agreed further contract extensions until the end of the 2019-20 season.
During Morecambe's 1-2 defeat to Cheltenham on 17 December 2016, Bentley was sent off from the dugout, after reacting to Alex Kenyon's dismissal. He received a £750 fine with £250 costs and a two match touchline ban from the FA after a personal hearing. At the following home game, a 4-1 victory over Notts County, Morecambe fans held a 'bucket collection' and raised the £1,000.
After the departure of Paul Tisdale from Exeter City in June 2018, Bentley became the longest serving manager in the top four tiers of English football, until his resignation in October 2019 in order to become the new manager of AFC Fylde.
- As of match played 30 November 2019
|Morecambe||13 May 2011||28 October 2019||434||123||119||192||28.3|
|AFC Fylde||28 October 2019||Present||7||4||2||1||57.1|
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/07/2011 and 31/07/2011" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Jim Bentley". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 July 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "New Shrimps Deal For Jim Bentley". League Clubs. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Jim Bentley: Morecambe manager signs new contract until 2020". BBC Sport. 13 October 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- Association, The Football. "Bentley charged". www.thefa.com. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- "Paul Tisdale leaves Exeter City after 12 years in charge of Devon club". 1 June 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Jim Bentley: Morecambe manager resigns and is set for AFC Fylde job". 28 October 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Managers: Jim Bentley". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Jim Bentley at Soccerbase