Jill Catherine Pipher (born December 14, 1955, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) is the president of the American Mathematical Society. She began a two-year term in 2019. She is the past-president of the Association of Women in Mathematics (AWM, 2011–2013), and she was the first director of the Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics (ICERM, 2011–2016), an NSF-funded mathematics institute based in Providence, Rhode Island.
Jill C. Pipher
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Doctoral advisor||John B. Garnett|
She is currently the Elisha Benjamin Andrews Professor of Mathematics at Brown University. She received a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1979 and a Ph.D. from UCLA in 1985 under the direction of John B. Garnett. She taught at the University of Chicago (1985–1990) before taking a position at Brown in 1990, where she served as chair of the Mathematics Department from 2005 to 2008.
Pipher's work has been in harmonic analysis, Fourier analysis, partial differential equations, and cryptography. She has published more than 50 research articles and has coauthored with Jeffrey Hoffstein and Joseph Silverman a textbook titled An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography.
In 2012 she became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. In 2014 Pipher was a featured speaker at the Joint Mathematics Meetings, the largest gathering of mathematicians in the United States. She delivered a Mathematical Association of America Invited Lecture entitled The Mathematics of Lattice-based Cryptography. The Association for Women in Mathematics has named her as their Noether Lecturer for 2018. In 2017, she was selected as a fellow of the Association for Women in Mathematics in the inaugural class. Also in 2017, she was elected to a two-year term as president of the American Mathematical Society, to begin in 2019.
- "Officers of the American Mathematical Society". Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- Jill Pipher at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography | Jeffrey Hoffstein | Springer.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-05-05.
- Pipher, Jill. "2014 Joint Mathematics Meetings Highlighted Speakers". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Jill Pipher named 2018 Noether Lecturer, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2017-08-05.
- "Launch of the AWM Fellows Program". awm-math.org/awards/awm-fellows/. Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- "Pipher to become president of the American Mathematical Society". Retrieved 2017-12-09.