Jill Paice is an American actress best known for her musical theatre roles. She originated the roles of Laura Fairlie in the musical The Woman in White in the West End (2004) and on Broadway (2005); Niki in Curtains on Broadway (2006); Scarlett in London's Gone With The Wind (2008); and Grazia Off-Broadway in Death Takes a Holiday (2011). Among other roles, she appeared in the Broadway play The 39 Steps (2009).
|Known for||musical theatre roles|
Paice attended Beavercreek High School in Beavercreek, Ohio,graduating in 1998. She then attended Baldwin-Wallace College, graduating with a bachelor of musical theater in 2002. There, she starred as Maria in West Side Story and as Mabel in The Pirates of Penzance at Baldwin-Wallace. She also starred as Violet, the title character of a new musical.
In 2001, while still in school, Paice appeared in a production of Gypsy at the Great Lakes Theater Festival in Cleveland, Ohio, earning her Equity card. Upon graduating from college she appeared in the national tour of Les Misérables and in 2003 the Las Vegas production of Mamma Mia! as Sophie.
In 2004, she created the role of Laura Fairle in Andrew Lloyd Webber's new musical The Woman in White at the Palace Theatre, London. Lloyd Webber was required to hire two "unknown American actors" in order to satisfy Actors Equity union rules for the future transfer of the production to Broadway to include the British actors Michael Crawford and Maria Friedman. Paice reprised her role in the Broadway production in 2005 at the Marquis Theatre in New York. She received good notices, but the show closed after only 109 performances on Broadway.
In 2006 she originated the role of Nikki Harris in Curtains in the pre-Broadway try-out at the Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles and, in 2007, on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, opposite David Hyde Pierce. She left Curtains in February 2008, and returned to London's West End to originate the role of Scarlett in Trevor Nunn's musical adaption of Gone With The Wind (2008). Nunn had been working on the project while Paice was still working on The Woman in White, and so she was able to do several readings and workshops for Nunn's project. The large-scale production of Gone With The Wind ran over three hours long and closed after 79 performances.
Later in 2008 she appeared as Elizabeth Lucas in Ace at the Signature Theater in Arlington, Virginia and as Betty Haynes in White Christmas in Detroit late in 2008 and at the Paper Mill Playhouse, New Jersey in November 2011. In January 2009, she played the role of Anne in a gala concert of A Little Night Music presented by the Roundabout Theatre Company.
She next starred as Florence in Chess the Musical at the Signature Theater in 2010. In 2011, she created the role of Grazia in Maury Yeston's Death Takes a Holiday in the original Off-Broadway production by Roundabout Theatre Company.
- The Woman in White: A New Musical - Original London Cast Recording
- Curtains - Original Broadway Cast Recording
- The Gig - Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording
- Andrew Lloyd Webber on Broadway (Released with Jay Records)
- Death Takes A Holiday - Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording
- An American In Paris - Original Broadway Cast Recording
- Morris, Terry. "Jill Paice to play Scarlet O?Hara in new musical" oxfordpress.com, January 27, 2008
- Alumni. JILL PAICE — Class of 2002" Baldwin Wallace University, accessed September 1, 2013
- Bird, Alan. "'The Woman In White' at the Palace Theatre" londontheatre.co.uk, 20 September 2004
- 'The Woman in White' Listing" ibdb.com, accessed September 1, 2013
- Weird Romance aislesay.com
- The Gig broadwayworld.com
- Jones, Kenneth. "It's Curtains for Jill Paice on Feb. 3; Tara Calls" playbill.com, January 7, 2008
- Brantley, Ben. "Theater Review|'Curtains'" 'The New York Times, March 23, 2007
- Shenton, Mark. "'Gone with the Wind' Opens at the New London Theatre April 22" playbill.com, April 22, 2008
- Shenton, Mark. "London's 'Gone with the Wind' to Undergo Overhaul" May 5, 2008
- " 'Gone With the Wind' to close" Variety, May 30, 2008
- "Intro to 2008 Signature Theatre cast" broadwayworld.com
- "PHOTO CALL: Tony Yazbeck, Jill Paice, James Clow Dream of a 'White Christmas' at Paper Mill" playbill.com, November 18, 2011
- McBride, Walter. "A Little Night Music Curtain Call", BroadwayWorld.com, January 13, 2009, accessed July 3, 2012
- Staff. "Jill Paice to Join the Cast of Broadway's 'The 39 Steps'" broadway.com, May 12, 2009
- Gans, Andrew."Euan Morton, Jeremy Kushnier and Jill Paice to Star in Signature's 'Chess' " playbill.com, April 21, 2012
- Jones, Kenneth. "Julian Ovenden, Jill Paice, Rebecca Luker, Max Von Essen, Linda Balgord To Star in Death Takes a Holiday'" playbill.com, April 25, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth. "Rebecca's Estate Will Be Inhabited by Jill Paice and Ryan Silverman", Playbill.com, June 20, 2012
- Jones, Kenneth. "Indefatigable Rebecca Producers Aiming for Broadway Bow of 2013; Creative Team Remains On Board" playbill.com, January 2, 2013
- Hetrick, Adam. "Bertie Carvel and Lauren Ward Exit Broadway's 'Matilda The Musical' Sept. 1" playbill.com, September 1, 2013
- "An American in Paris". IBDB.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Jill Paice, accessed July 3, 2012
- Berlin, Susan."Signature's Streamlined Les Misérables Receives Six Helen Hayes Awards at 25th Annual Ceremony in Washington" talkinbroadway.com, accessed September 2, 2013
- Staff. "Gavin Lee, Marc Kudisch & Laurence Fishburne Among DC's Helen Hayes Award Nominees" March 1, 2011