After studying physics at the Masaryk University in Brno and astronomy at the Charles University in Prague he joined the Astronomical Institute of the Academy of Sciences, Department of Stellar Astronomy in Ondřejov. Twenty years later he moved to the Institute of Physics, Low Temperature Physics Department at Řež, where he remained for more than ten years. Shortly after the Velvet Revolution he joined the High Energy Physics Department at the same institution. From 1992 to 1998, Grygar chaired the Czech Astronomical Society. He also chaired the Czech Television Council and the Science and Philosophy section of the European Culture Club. He is member of editorial boards of the periodicals Říše hvězd, Vesmír, Universum and Omega.
Grygar holds a PhD in astrophysics. His papers focus on interplanetary matter (meteors, comets), limb darkening in stellar atmospheres, close binaries, novae, chemically peculiar stars and remote sensing.
Grygar is well known to the public in the Czech Republic and Slovakia due to his TV series about the Universe – Okna vesmíru dokořán ("Wide open windows of the Universe"; 1982–1990). As a member of the Český klub skeptiků Sisyfos scientific skeptic group, he is also a prominent critic of pseudoscience and other unproven theories. A practising Catholic, he is also a well-known writer on the topic of the relationship between religion and science.
In 2009, Dr. Grygar was awarded one of the most prestigious Czech scientific awards, Česká hlava.
In 2010, he was the inaugural recipient of the respectable Mensa Czech Republic Award.
Dr. Grygar is a recipient of a number of other awards.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jiří Grygar.|
- The Learned Society of the Czech Republic Archived 2011-10-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Sisyfos Czech Republic Archived 2005-02-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Jiri Grygar – Faith and Science Archived 2011-07-18 at the Wayback Machine
- "(3336) Grygar". (3336) Grygar In: Dictionary of Minor Planet Names. Springer. 2003. p. 278. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-29925-7_3337. ISBN 978-3-540-29925-7.
- Astrofyzik Jiří Grygar odmítl cenu Česká hlava, Český rozhlas, 16 November 2009 Archived 2011-11-20 at the Wayback Machine
- RNDr. Jiří Grygar, CSc. převzal Čestné uznání Mensy České republiky Archived 2011-08-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Jiri Grygar curriculum vitae Archived 2011-09-28 at the Wayback Machine