Jessica Hertz (born 1981/1982) is an American attorney and political advisor who is the White House Staff Secretary in the Biden administration. Hertz previously served as general counsel for the Presidential transition of Joe Biden and associate general counsel at Facebook.
|White House Staff Secretary|
|Assumed office |
January 20, 2021
|Preceded by||Derek Lyons|
|Born||1981/1982 (age 39–40)|
|Political party||Democratic|
|Education||Harvard University (BA)|
University of Chicago (JD)
Hertz earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Chicago Law School. As a law student, she was the articles editor of the University of Chicago Law Review.
Hertz worked as a law clerk for judges Sonia Sotomayor and Barbara S. Jones. From 2009 to 2011, she was counselor to the administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs. In 2011 and 2012, she was counselor to the United States Deputy Attorney General. She served as principal deputy counsel to then-Vice President Joe Biden from 2012 to 2014. After leaving the Obama administration in 2014, Hertz became a partner at Jenner & Block. In April 2018, she joined Facebook as the company's associate counsel for regulatory affairs.
In September 2020, Hertz joined the Presidential transition of Joe Biden as general counsel. On December 30, 2020, it was announced that Hertz would serve as White House Staff Secretary in the incoming Biden administration.
- "Jessica Hertz, Christopher Angell". The New York Times. May 30, 2009. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "Biden team announces new staff picks, highlighting effort to 'build an administration that looks like America'". PBS NewsHour. 2020-12-30. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Thompson, Alex; Meyer, Theodoric. "Biden rewards loyalty". POLITICO. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Jessica Hertz". Revolving Door Project. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Jessica Hertz, Former Counsel to Vice President Biden, Joins Jenner & Block". Jenner & Block. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- Stacey, Kiran; Waters, Richard (November 8, 2020). "What can Silicon Valley expect from Joe Biden?". Financial Times. Retrieved December 30, 2020.
- "Biden transition elevates former Facebook exec as ethics arbiter". POLITICO. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- http://www.washingtontimes.com, The Washington Times. "Biden names Jessica Hertz, ex-Facebook lawyer, as staff secretary". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2020-12-30.
- "Jessica Hertz, Christopher Angell (Published 2009)". The New York Times. 2009-05-30. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-12-30.