Jesse Hernandez is an American tattoo artist and graphic designer for video games and collectible toys. He was a part of the urban vinyl art movement of the 2010s. He was also the lead character and prop designer on United Front Games' ModNation Racers. His designs have been featured on Kidrobot's Dunny toys, including one owned by singer-songwriter Usher.
San Francisco Bay Area, U.S.
|Occupation||Tattoo artist, graphic designer|
Hernandez studied fine art at the San Francisco Art Institute. He resides in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, where he has commissioned graffiti-style murals on the walls of his home. Much of his art combines graffiti, Aztec art, and Native American art. Oaklandish described his style as "illustrations which straddle and explore the juncture between urban graffiti and ancient indigenous culture."
In 2007, Hernandez worked alongside Ramon Lopez on The Nutshack, a television series for Myx geared toward a Filipino American audience. In 2014, Hernandez painted a mural for the Oakland Museum's "Songs and Sorrows" Exhibition titled Danza de los Muertos. In 2015, Hernandez designed a brand of designer headphones for Sol Republic called "Urban Aztec". In 2021, he designed a cover for the annual National Novel Writing Month competition. He has also worked for Gears of War 4 and created artwork for the hip-hop group Run the Jewels.
- "Designer Jesse Hernandez Shows Us His Vinyl Addiction". PlayStation News. Sony Interactive Entertainment. May 3, 2010.
- Mihoerck, Dan (May 14, 2010). "ModNation Racers Artist: Jesse Hernandez". GameStop.com. GameStop.
- "Wrap Up – Calavera Dunny Signing With Jesse Hernandez At KRNY". Kidrobot.com. Kidrobot. December 19, 2011.
- "Mural or Graffiti? City Draws Line". The Los Angeles Times. August 25, 2005.
- Gary, Jesse (October 30, 2020). "San Jose seeks cultural beauty through colorful murals". KTVU. Fox Television Stations.
- "Urban Aztec X Oaklandish: 'Ancient Roots'". Oaklandish. October 27, 2020.
- "Songs and Sorrows: Días de los Muertos 20th Anniversary | Oakland Museum of California". Oakland Museum of California. Archived from the original on September 20, 2014. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Dia De los Muertos with Jesse "Urban Aztec" Hernandez". Sol Republic. October 26, 2015. Archived from the original on October 27, 2015.
- "30 Covers, 30 Days 2021: Day 20". National Novel Writing Month. 2021.
- "Rockstar releasing limited edition Gears of War 4 can". Microsoft Start. September 6, 2016. Retrieved September 21, 2016.