Jerry Ward (born July 19, 1948) is an American politician and businessman.
In 1990, he won the Alaska Independence Party primary for Lt. Governor. However, he and his running mate, gubernatorial candidate John Howard Lindauer, stepped aside in favor of former Governor Walter Hickel, and the defecting Republican lieutenant gubernatorial candidate, state Senator Jack Coghill, who won the general election over ex-Anchorage Mayor, Democrat Tony Knowles and state Senator Willie Hensley, with Republican state Senator Arliss Sturgulewski finishing third.
In 1998, running again for statewide office, he joined now-Republican Lindauer as his lieutenant governor candidate. Thanks in part to a campaign financing scandal, their ticket finished far behind incumbent Governor Knowles and third behind a write-in candidate, state senator Robin L. Taylor.
While in the state senate, Ward was heavily involved in repeated, unsuccessful attempts to build a for-profit prison in Alaska. Those schemes eventually resulted in federal criminal prosecutions of executives and legislators. Although Ward was still under investigation as of 2009, he was never charged.
- Alaska State Legislature-Senator Jerry Ward
- "Alaska Division of Elections-Jerry Ward". Archived from the original on 2018-06-30. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Weimar charged corruption probe, Alaska Dispatch News, Lisa Demer, August 11, 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Sean Parnell: The Manchurian Governor?, Alaska Dispatch News, Craig Medred, April 19, 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- Senate Passes Fort Greely Prison Bill, Alaska House and Senate Majority, Wendy Lindskoog, Jerry Ritter, March 31, 1998. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Prison bill gets facelift, Peninsula Clarion, Dan Joling, February 2, 2001. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Push for Private Prison was downfall, Alaska Dispatch News, Tom Kizzia, August 12, 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Key players contest FBI whistleblower allegations, Alaska Dispatch News, Richard Mauer, Lisa Demer, February 15, 2009. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- Trump's loyalist army is getting swallowed up by the swamp, Vanity Fair, Abigail Tracy, April 6, 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Jerry Ward at 100 Years of Alaska's Legislature