Jerry Pinto (born 1966) is a Mumbai-based Indian writer of poetry, prose and children's fiction, as well as a journalist. Pinto writes in English, and his works include, Helen: The Life and Times of an H-Bomb (2006) which won the Best Book on Cinema Award at the 54th National Film Awards, Surviving Women (2000) and Asylum and Other Poems (2003). His first novel Em and The Big Hoom was published in 2012. Pinto won the Windham-Campbell prize in 2016 for his fiction. He is awarded with sahitya akademi award 2016 for novel Em and The Big Hoom
Early life and educationEdit
Jerry Pinto is a Roman Catholic of Goan origin, and grew up in Mahim Mumbai, later he received a liberal arts degree from Elphinstone College, University of Mumbai, and a law degree from Government Law College, Mumbai.
His collection of poems, Asylum and Other Poems appeared in 2003. He has also co-edited Confronting Love (2005), a book of contemporary Indian love poetry in English. He returned to magazine journalism as a Consulting Editor at Man's World magazine. Later, he joined Paprika Media (the publishing house that brings out Time Out Mumbai and Time Out Delhi) to edit their special projects. He is now a free lance journalist, writing articles for the Hindustan Times and Live Mint newspapers, as well as The Man and MW
In 2009, he coauthored Leela: A Portrait with Leela Naidu, a semi-biographical book of anecdotes and photos from Leela Naidu's life. Leela Naidu was continuously listed as one of top ten or top five most beautiful women in the world in the 50's and 60's by magazines like Vogue.
- Surviving Women. Penguin Books, 2000. ISBN 0-14-028715-9.
- Bombay, meri jaan: writings on Mumbai, with Naresh Fernandes. Penguin Books, 2003.
- Asylum and Other Poems. (Poetry in English). Allied Publishers India., 2003. ISBN 81-7764-527-7
- Confronting Love, (edited with Arundhathi Subramaniam ) . (Poetry in English). Penguin Books India., 2005. ISBN 0-14-303264-X
- Helen: The Life and Times of An H-Bomb. New Delhi: Penguin Books India, 2006. ISBN 0-14-303124-4.
- Reflected in Water: Writings on Goa. Penguin Group, 2006. ISBN 0-14-310081-5.
- Bollywood Posters, with Sheena Sippy. Thames & Hudson, 2008. ISBN 9780500287767
- Leela: A Patchwork Life with Leela Naidu. Penguin Group, 2009. ISBN 9780670999118
- Em and the Big Hoom. Aleph Book Company, 2012. ISBN 8192328023
- Phiss Phuss Boom, with Anushka Ravishankar and Sayoni Basu. Illustrated by Vinayak Varma. Duckbill, 2013. ISBN 978-93-83331-08-6
- Monster Garden. Illustrated by Priya Kuriyan. Duckbill, 2016. ISBN 978-93-83331-26-0
- When Crows Are White, 2013.
Awards and honoursEdit
- 2007 National Film Award for Best Book on Cinema for Helen: The Life and Times of an H-Bomb
- 2012 The Hindu Literary Prize winner for Em and the Big Hoom
- 2013 Crossword Book Award (fiction) for Em and the Big Hoom
- 2016 Windham–Campbell Literature Prizes (Fiction) for Em and The Big Hoom 
- 2016 Sahitya Akademi Award for Em and The Big Hoom
-  Em and The Big Hoom|Aleph Book Company website
- Windham-Campbell prize: Winners
- Rediff Interview / Jerry Pinto 29 March 2006.
- ‘Helen: The Life and the Times of an H-Bomb’
- "Who's behind Man's World?". Man’s World. Archived from the original on 5 April 2010.
- Staff writer (17 February 2013). "The Hindu Literary Prize goes to Jerry Pinto". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "'Popular choice' ruled at book awards". The Times of India. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Nine writers win Yale’s $150,000 Windham-Campbell Prizes". Yale News. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.