Gennaro "Jerry" Cuomo (born 1962) is an American software engineer who has worked for IBM since 1987. Holding the title of IBM Fellow, Cuomo is known as one of the founding fathers of IBM WebSphere Software, a software framework and middleware that hosts Java-based web applications.
Gennaro "Jerry" Cuomo
|Known for||Hyperledger, Blockchain for Business, IBM WebSphere, Co-inventor of "Someone is typing..."|
Cuomo has filed for over 50 US patents and has been cited over 3000 times. His most visible patent is the first use of the "Someone is typing..." indicator found in instant messaging applications (U.S. Patent 5,990,887).
At IBM, Cuomo has led projects in the areas of: Blockchain, APIs, cloud computing, mobile computing, Internet of Things, web server performance & availability, web security, web caching, edge computing, service-oriented architecture and REST.
Cuomo is the co-author of the book, Blockchain for Business, that illustrates how blockchain technology is re-imagining many of the world's most fundamental business interactions and opening the door to new styles of digital interactions that have yet to be imagined. In March 2016 and 2018, Cuomo was called upon by the United States government as an expert witness to testify to US Energy and Commerce Committee on Digital Currency and Blockchain. During his 2016 testimony Cuomo urged the Obama administration to adopt Blockchain as a primary means to protect citizen identity and to enhance national security. His testimony can be seen on YouTube.
Cuomo is currently the VP of Technology within IBM's Consulting business unit, where he is driving the technical strategy for AI-powered automation. In 2022, he published two books titled Think Blockchain and The Art of Automation, both accompanied by podcasts of the same name.
- IBM Appoints Eight New Fellows to Drive Innovation
- February 2005, IBM Redbook, WebSphere Product Family Overview and Architecture, G. Cuomo, et al.
- Jerry Cuomo's U.S. Patents
- Jerry Cuomo's Scholar Citations
- 'Someone is typing...' US Patent 5,990,887
- 'Someone's typing...': The history behind text messaging's most dreadful feature
- IBM Blockchain Blogs – Gennaro ‘Jerry’ Cuomo
- July 2014 - Why the growing API economy gives developers limitless opportunities
- Jerry Cuomo on Cloud Computing and IBM’s PaaS
- Interview: Jerry Cuomo Discusses Virtualization, Cloud Computing and WebSphere Virtual Enterprise
- Youtube video, Jerry Cuomo - Engaging Enterprise
- IBM and 10Gen collaborate on database standard for enterprise mobile
- What Business Leaders Can Learn from 'Generation Mobile'
- IBM tackles M2M's big data challenge
- May 2004, IBM Systems Journal, Designing WebSphere Application Server for performance, R. Willenborg, K Brown, G. Cuomo
- WebSphere 5.0: What's New on the Performance Front
- Method and apparatus for processing requests in a network data processing system based on a trust association between servers, N. Nagaratnam, W. Jamison, GA. Cuomo
- Context Sensitive Caching, Cuomo, Martin, Ferguson, Et al.
- June 2005, ACM – SIGMOD 2005, IBM SOA on the Edge, G. Cuomo
- August 2007, SearchWebServices.com, WebSphere CTO champions Web SOA on Project Zero
- IBM affirms Restful SOA & dynamic languages with Project Zero
- Blockchain for Business- Jai Singh Arun, Jerry Cuomo, Nitin Gaur ©2019 Addison-Wesley Professional
- House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing & Trade ‘How to Capitalize on Blockchain’ March 16, 2016
- House Committee on Science, Space and Technology Subcommittee on Oversight & Subcommittee Research and Technology "Beyond Bitcoin: Emerging Applications for Blockchain Technology" February 14, 2018
- Vice Chairman Marshall’s Q&A on "Beyond Bitcoin: Emerging Applications for Blockchain Technology" February 14, 2018
- AI-Powered Automation is Enterprise Automation 2.0
- Think Blockchain by Jerry Cuomo
- The Art of Automation by Jerry Cuomo, et al.
- Podcasts hosted by Jerry Cuomo on Spotify