Jeongjong, 3rd monarch of Goryeo
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jeongjong of Goryeo (923 – 13 April 949) (r. 945–949) was the third monarch of the Goryeo dynasty of Korea. He was the third son of King Taejo, the founder of the kingdom, and was born more than a decade before Goryeo was formally established. His mother was the daughter of a noble from the Chungju region, Yu Geung-dal.
|Jeongjong of Goryeo|
|King of Goryeo|
|Reign||945 – 949|
|Predecessor||Hyejong of Goryeo|
|Successor||Gwangjong of Goryeo|
|Died||13 April 949(aged 25–26)|
|House||House of Wang|
|Father||Taejo of Goryeo|
|Jeongjong, 3rd monarch of Goryeo|
|Revised Romanization||Wang Yo|
Jeongjong rose to the throne after his half-brother King Hyejong died, and set to reducing the power of various royal in-laws, including Wang Gyu and Pak Sul-hui. However, lacking the support of the Gaegyeong elites, he was unable to substantially strengthen the throne.
In 946, he spent 70,000 sacks of grain from the royal storehouses to support Buddhism in the country. In 947, he had the fortress of Pyongyang constructed as the country's Western Capital. He sought to move the capital from Gaegyeong to Pyongyang, but was not successful.
- Father: King Taejo (31 January 877 – 4 July 943) (고려 태조)
- Mother: Queen Sinmyeongsunseong of the Chungju Yu clan (900 - 951)(신명순성왕후 유씨)
- Queen Mungong of the Suncheon Park clan (문공왕후 박씨)
- Queen Munseong of the Suncheon Park clan (문성왕후 박씨)
- Prince Gyeongchunwon (경춘원군)
- Unknown Princess
- Lady Cheongjunamwon of the Cheongju Kim clan (청주남원부인 김씨)
- Portrayed by Kim Young-chan in the 2000-2002 KBS1 TV series Taejo Wang Geon
- Portrayed by Choi Jae-sung in the 2002 KBS1 TV series The Dawn of the Empire.
- Portrayed by Ryu Seung-soo in the 2015 MBC TV series Shine or Go Crazy.
- Portrayed by Hong Jong-hyun in the 2016 SBS TV series Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo.
- Portrayed by Kim Min-jae and Lee Dong-wook in the 2017 TVN TV series Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.