Jehanabad district is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar state, India, and Jehanabad town is the administrative headquarters of this district. Jehanabad district is a part of Magadh Division. This district is 45 km from Patna, the capital of Bihar and 43 km from Gaya.
Location of Jehanabad district in Bihar
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Jahanabad|
|• Total||932 km2 (360 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||918|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
|Major highways||NH 83|
|Average annual precipitation||1074 mm|
Jehanabad is located on the confluence of two small rivers called Dardha and Yamunaiya. It is the heartland of Magadha and the local dialect is called Magahi. Once considered a poor district The area is however developing now and the services sector is gaining ground in the district.
The territory of the present-day district became Jehanabad sub-division of Gaya district in 1872. The district came into existence on 1 August 1986.
The famous Barabar Caves are located in the Jehanabad District. They are the oldest surviving rock-cut caves in India, mostly dating from the Mauryan period (322–185 BCE), and some with Ashokan inscriptions. Bhumihar Landlord (zamindars) Brahmins and Yadavas are the two most dominant community here and They have a stronghold in Local Politics. Jehanabad has a long history of caste wars between Bhumihar Brahmins and Naxal communities but the situation has improved a lot with Increase in Education facilities and Economy of the region. It is currently a part of the Red Corridor.
The region is rich for cultivating cereals and vegetables. There are two seasons, hot and dry.
Agriculture is the major sector and employer. Another sector which provides employment is the education sector. There are a hundred of private and government schools in the district headquarter which provide employment to many people.
The district comprises only one sub-division, Jehanbad, which is further divided into seven blocks: Jehanabad, Kako, ModanGANJ, Ghosi, Hulasganj, Makhdumpur, and Ratni Faridpur.
There are a lot of schools in jehanabad District, most of them are private high schools, which are popular across the city and provide better education, names are as follows, Swami Sahajanand Public School, Sai Central public school sultani pandooi, Purple Town Academy, J.N.V, D.A.V. School, B.V.N., P.P.S.,Kainat International School Manas Vidyalaya, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Swami vivekanand high school Tehta are some of the schools following C.B.S.E. syllabus for quite long time. Many new schools have come up in recent time. These schools are contributing in the development of academic culture in the district. The Gandhi Intermediate School earlier known as VT School, Gautam budh high school and S.S. College, Jehanabad is proof of as backbone of district education.
According to the 2011 census Jehanabad district has a population of 1,125,313, roughly equal to the nation of Cyprus or the US state of Rhode Island. This gives it a ranking of 412th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,206 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,120/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 21.34%. Jehanabad has a sex ratio of 918 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 78.27%.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Bihar: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1118–1119. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
Isla Ángel de la Guarda 931km2
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Cyprus 1,120,489 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Rhode Island 1,052,567
- 2011 Census of India, Population By Mother Tongue
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jehanabad district.|