Jeffersonville High School
Jeffersonville High School is a public high school located in Jeffersonville, Indiana. The school serves students in grades 9 through 12 from Jeffersonville, Utica, and sections of Clarksville not covered by that town's own high school. The school's enrollment for the 2014–2015 school year was 2,051 students, with 123 teachers. The current principal is Julie Straight. Jeffersonville is in the school district of Greater Clark County Schools. This school district includes Charlestown addresses that are connected with the city of Jeffersonville. While most schools in other counties have a majority European ratio of students, Jeffersonville total minority enrollment is 36%.
|Jeffersonville High School|
2315 Allison Lane
|School district||Greater Clark County Schools|
|Number of students||2,026 (2017-18)|
|Song||On, Red Devils (On, Wisconsin)|
|Athletics||Boys: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track, & Wrestling. Girls: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Gymnastics, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, & Soccer. Non-gender related: Marching Band, Color Guard, Step team, etc.|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Hills|
Prior to 1882, students were taught at three schools. Male students attended the Chestnut Street School, female students attended another school at an unknown location, and all black students regardless of gender attended Taylor High School on Wall Street. The white students were integrated into a co-ed school located at the corner of Chestnut and Pearl Streets in 1882. The school moved to the intersection of Court and Meigs Avenues in 1913. African-American students were integrated into the school in the 1940s. The current building, located on Allison Lane in the city's East End, opened in 1971, with a major renovation completed in 2011. Before Jeffersonville high school was moved to Alison Lane the Nachand Fielhouse, which is now use as a gym held for summer basketball camps.
2013–2014 academic statisticsEdit
- Graduation rate: 93.6%
- ISTEP+ passing rate: 47.4%
- ECA (End-of-Course Assessments) passing rate: 63.9%
- Percentage of graduates taking the SAT: 31.5%
- Average SAT composite score: 960
- Percentage of graduates taking the ACT: 19.7%
- Average ACT composite score: 21
- Percentage of graduates taking an Advanced Placement exam: 48.9%
- Percentage of graduates passing an AP exam: 18.9%
There is no information yet regarding the 2014–2015 school year.
Jeffersonville High School was placed on academic probation in accordance with Public Law 221 for the 2007–2008 and 2009–2010 school years, and has not made Adequate Yearly Progress since at least prior to the 2006–2007 school year. There was no PL221 or AYP calculation for the 2008–2009 school year because of a change in spring testing.
Jeffersonville High School Red Devil student athletes have consistently brought home sectional, regional, and state championship victories, and other athletic accomplishments. Below are a few of the Red Devils' athletic accomplishments.
- The Red Devils won the 1993 IHSAA Class 4A boys basketball championship.
- The Lady Red Devils won the 2011 IHSAA Class 4A girls basketball championship.
- JHS' Air Force JROTC unit advanced to Round II of the AFJROTC Academic Bowl in 2012. The unit has also won awards for its color guard and drill team.
- Jeffersonville High School has a prominent theatre program that has sent seven shows to the International Thespian Festival in Nebraska, one which continued to the Fringe Festival in Scotland.
- The Jeffersonville Winter Percussion Ensemble received the Silver Medal at the 2008 TriState Circuit Championships, Percussion Scholastic A section, with a score of 85.10—the highest score ever set by a Jeffersonville Indoor Drumline.
- The Jeffersonville High School Wind Symphony was a finalist at the Indiana State School Music Association state-level event in 2007.
- Jeffersonville High School was selected as Grammy Signature School in 2012.
- The Jeffersonville High School Marching Band actively competes in Bands of America competitions.
- The Jeffersonville High School Marching Band won the title of Grand Champion at Louisville Male Invitational in 2011
- The Jeffersonville High School Winterguard received the Gold Medal at the 2012 Tristate Circuit Championships, in Class B.
- The Jeffersonville High School Winterguard received the Gold Medal (Grand Champions) at the 2013 Tristate Circuit Championships, in Class A3.
- The Jeffersonville High School Winterguard received the Silver Medal at the 2014 Tristate Circuit Championships, in Class A2.
- The Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band performed in Carnegie Hall on April 13, 2015.
- Admiral Jonas Ingram - Medal of Honor recipient and Commander-in-Chief, United States Atlantic Fleet during World War II
- John Schnatter - Founder and former CEO of Papa John's Pizza
- Jermaine Ross - Former NFL player for the St. Louis Rams and Jacksonville Jaguars
- Ben Hesen - Champion collegiate swimmer and US Open record holder in the 50M backstroke
- Walt Terrell - Former MLB pitcher for the New York Mets, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates and the Detroit Tigers
- Sarah Bridges - professional wrestler for WWE under the ring name Sarah Logan
- History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties: Precincts of Jefferson County, Ky. General histories of Clark and Floyd counties, Ind. New Albany and Floyd County. Clark County and Jeffersonville. L. A. Williams & Company. 1882. p. 443. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Jeffersonville High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- "Enrollment Information". IDOE. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-02-04. Retrieved 2017-02-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "DOE Compass: AYP information, Jeffersonville High School". Indiana Department of Education. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "DOE Compass: PL221 information, Jeffersonville High School". Indiana Department of Education.
- "IHSAA Basketball State Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "IHSAA Girls Basketball Team State Champions". Indiana High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "2011-12 Air Force JROTC Academic Bowl" (pdf). College Options Foundation. Retrieved 17 June 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Percussion Championships Results April 4, 2008". TriState Circuit. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Concert Organization State Event Results". Indiana State School Music Association. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "2012 Grammy Signature Schools". grammy.com.
- "Symphonic Series for Band". carnegiehall.org. Archived from the original on 2015-04-16.
- Official website
- Jeff Red Devils
- Department of Education Statistics
- IN-061 ROTC Program
- IHSAA - Play On