Jeff Schultz (born February 25, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for the San Diego Gulls in the American Hockey League (AHL). He was drafted by the Washington Capitals in the first round, 27th overall, in 2004.
February 25, 1986|
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||230 lb (100 kg; 16 st 6 lb)|
Los Angeles Kings
27th overall, 2004|
Schultz spent four seasons (2002–03 to 2005–06) in the Western Hockey League (WHL) with the Calgary Hitmen. He played seven games in the 2005–06 playoffs for the Capitals' top minor league affiliate, the Hershey Bears, helping them capture the Calder Cup.
Schultz made his NHL debut for the Capitals on December 22, 2006, against the New Jersey Devils. He played four games with Washington before being returned to Hershey. At the end of the season, Schultz had played in 38 games with the Capitals.
A record was set by Schultz in the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs in Washington`s 4–2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semi-finals. He was on the ice for a post-season record 119 consecutive minutes without being scored upon in the Stanley Cup playoffs, before Steve Downie of the Lightning scored a goal.
On July 2, 2013, after two successive diminishing seasons on the Capitals, Schultz was given a compliance buyout of his final year of his contract with Washington, releasing him as an unrestricted free agent.
On July 5, 2013, he was signed as a free agent by the Los Angeles Kings to a one-year deal. He was later placed on waivers by the Kings shortly prior to the regular season's commencement. After clearing waivers, he reported to the Kings' AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. On December 3, Schultz was called up by the Kings, later being reassigned to Manchester on February 5, 2014; he did not make an appearance of Los Angeles during his two-month call-up. He was then recalled by the Kings during the 2014 playoffs, and made his debut with the Kings in Game 2 of the Western Conference Semi-finals against the Anaheim Ducks.
On July 5, 2016, Schultz left the Kings organization as a free agent and signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Anaheim Ducks. He spent the duration of the 2016–17 season, with the Ducks AHL affiliate, the San Diego Gulls, appearing in 65 games from the blueline in recording 15 assists. Despite the conclusion of his contract with the Ducks, Schultz opted to remain with the Gulls, signing a one-year AHL deal on July 26, 2017.
Schultz has a younger brother, Ian, who was selected 87th overall in 2008 by the St. Louis Blues. Ian played in the AHL with the Hamilton Bulldogs as a prospect with the Montreal Canadiens for parts of three seasons. Unlike Jeff, Ian is a forward and is known as a tough player with a reputation for fighting on the ice.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2013–14||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||—||—||—||—||—||7||0||0||0||0|
|2014–15||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||9||0||1||1||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||San Diego Gulls||AHL||65||0||15||15||18||10||0||1||1||2|
|2017–18||San Diego Gulls||AHL||36||1||5||6||12||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and achievementsEdit
|Calder Cup (Hershey Bears)||2006|
|Calder Cup (Manchester Monarchs)||2015|||
|Stanley Cup (Los Angeles Kings)||2014|||
- "Jeff Schutlz prospect profile". HockeysFuture.com. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Cassese, Mike (January 20, 2010). "Jeff Schultz is "Mr. Nasty"". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 27, 2010.
- "Capitals will buy-out Jeff Schultz". The Washington Post. July 2, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "Kings sign Schultz to one-year deal". National Hockey League. July 5, 2013. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- Lisa Dillman Kings waive Jeff Schultz, send three players to Manchester Los Angeles Times September 29, 2013. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Kings Announce Player Transactions National Hockey League. December 3, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Kings Announce Player Transactions National Hockey League. February 5, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Caps alum Jeff Schultz to make L.A. Kings debut May 5, 2014. Retrieved May 27, 2014
- "Ducks sign D Schultz to one-year contract". Anaheim Ducks. 2016-07-05. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "Gulls sign Jeff Schultz to one-year contract". San Diego Gulls. 2017-07-26. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "More to Schultz than firing punches". The Calgary Herald. September 12, 2008. Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Manchester defeats Utica to win Calder Cup". National Hockey League. 2015-06-19. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- "LA Kings win 2014 Stanley Cup". CBS Sports. 2014-06-14. Retrieved 2014-06-14.