Jeff Nelson (umpire)
Jeffrey Nelson (born on June 1, 1965) is an umpire in Major League Baseball who was named to the National League staff prior to the 1999 season, and has worked throughout both major leagues since 2000. Nelson, a graduate of Bethel University in St. Paul, Minnesota, wears uniform number 45. He was promoted to crew chief starting for the 2014 season.
Nelson in 2011.
|Born: June 1, 1965|
St. Paul, Minnesota
|May 9, 1997|
|Career highlights and awards|
Nelson was named Top Prospect at the Joe Brinkman Umpiring School in 1989. He was promoted to the National League prior to the 1999 season along with Paul Nauert to fill vacancies left by the retirements of Jim Quick and Harry Wendelstedt.
While in the minor leagues, Nelson was the chief rules instructor at the former Brinkman-Froemming umpire school in Cocoa, Florida from 1997 until the school's closing in 1998. He continues to teach at umpire clinics in the off-season. Additionally, Nelson is currently the secretary/treasurer of the major league umpires' union, the World Umpires Association.
During his career, Nelson has received several postseason assignments, including the 2005 World Series, 2009 World Series, 2014 World Series and the 2018 World Series. He also worked the League Championship Series in 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016; and the Division Series in 2000, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2017 and 2018. He has also umpired in the 2006 and 2014 MLB All-Star Games.
Nelson was the plate umpire for a Detroit Tigers–Kansas City Royals game on September 27, 2012 when Tigers pitcher Doug Fister set an American League record by striking out nine consecutive batters.
During Game 2 of the 2012 American League Championship Series, Nelson ejected New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi for arguing a missed call at second base after Nelson incorrectly ruled that Detroit Tiger Omar Infante was safe. Nelson later acknowledged his safe call was wrong.
He worked home plate for Game 7 of the 2014 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City.
- Zambrano masters Astros en route to first no-hitter for Cubs in 36 years ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Doug Fister gets AL-record 9 straight K's; Tigers keep Central lead. ESPN.com. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- Anibal Sanchez silences Yanks as Tigers take 2-0 lead. ESPN.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Baltimore Orioles vs. Seattle Mariners - Box Score - August 12, 2015. "ESPN.com." Retrieved 12 August 2015.