Jeff Long (athletic director)
Jeffrey P. Long (born c. 1960) is the Director of Athletics at the University of Kansas. He is the former Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics at the University of Arkansas and joined the University in 2008 after holding the same position at the University of Pittsburgh. Long's career in administration includes positions at the University of Oklahoma, University of Michigan, Virginia Tech, and Eastern Kentucky University.
|Annual salary||$1.5 million|
|Alma mater||Miami University (MEd)|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1982||Miami (OH) (GA)|
|1983–1985||NC State (admin. assist. to HC)|
|Administrative career (AD unless noted)|
|1988||Rice (assistant AD)|
|1988–1998||Michigan (assist./assoc. AD)|
|1998||Virginia Tech (assoc. AD)|
|2001–2002||Oklahoma (senior assoc. AD)|
Long replaced Frank Broyles, who retired at Arkansas at the beginning of 2008. Prior to his term at Arkansas, Long was hired as Pittsburgh's athletic director after Steve Pederson left the University of Pittsburgh to take the same position at the University of Nebraska.
Long hired controversial football coach Bobby Petrino in 2008 and later fired Petrino in 2012. The firing followed revelations that Petrino may have been involved in an extramarital affair with a former Arkansas volleyball player, whom Long and Petrino had agreed to hire to a staff position within the football program. It was rumored that Petrino had also attempted to cover up the fact that he had been riding with his mistress when he was involved in a motorcycle accident in April 2012. The firing of Bobby Petrino led to the subsequent tumultuous hiring of John L. Smith as interim head coach in 2012 and then the hiring of Bret Bielema the following year.
In October 2013, Long parlayed the Petrino scandal into another job and was subsequently announced as the first chairman of the College Football Playoff selection committee, along with twelve other members.
On November 15, 2017, the University of Arkansas announced that it had parted ways with Long effective immediately, with the school's chancellor saying Long had "lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership."
Long is married to the former Fanny Gellrich of Ann Arbor, Michigan and the couple have two daughters, Stephanie and Christina.
- "University of Kansas – Term Sheet – Jeffrey P. Long" (PDF). July 5, 2018. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- "University of Kansas names Jeff Long director of athletics". July 5, 2018. Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Arkansas hires Pitt's Long as next AD ESPN, retrieved January 23, 2008
- Pitt Athletic Director Jeff Long Interviews At Arkansas The Pittsburgh Channel, retrieved March 30, 2008
- "Arkansas fires Bobby Petrino for 'reckless behavior'". Chicago Tribune. April 10, 2012. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "Razorbacks AD Long to chair Playoff panel". Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Rittenberg, Adam (November 15, 2017). "Arkansas fires AD Jeff Long; football coach Bret Bielema likely on shaky ground". espn.com. ESPN. Retrieved November 15, 2017.