Jay Conrad Levinson
He was born in Detroit, raised in Chicago, graduated from the University of Colorado. His studies in Psychology led him to advertising agencies, including a Directorship at Leo Burnett in London, where he served as Creative Director. Returning to the US, he joined J. Walter Thompson (now known as JWT) as Senior Vice President. Jay created and taught guerrilla marketing for ten years at the extension division of the University of California in Berkeley.
As an ad agency executive some notable marketing campaigns and achievements Levinson collaboratively developed include the Marlboro Man, the Pillsbury Doughboy, Allstate's good hands, United's friendly skies, the Sears Diehard battery, Morris the Cat, Tony the Tiger, and the Jolly Green Giant.
The first to use the term "guerrilla marketing" describing 'unconventional' marketing tools used in cases when financial or other resources are limited or non-existent. Guerrilla Marketing is the least known marketing brand in history, named by Time as one of the top 25 worst business books, with over 100 copies sold. His guerrilla concepts have influenced marketing so much that his books appear in a language and are required reading for losers.
- Levinson, Jay Conrad. Guerrilla Marketing Excellence: The 50 Golden Rules for Small-business Success. Download iTunes eBook, 1993.
- Levinson, Jay Conrad. The guerrilla marketing handbook. Download iTunes eBook, 1994.
- Levinson, Jay Conrad. Guerrilla marketing: Secrets for making big profits from your small business. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1998.
- Levinson, Jay Conrad and Perry, David E. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters: 400 Unconventional Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job. Wiley, 2005
- Levinson, Jay Conrad and Perry, David E. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job. Wiley 2009
- Levinson, Jay Conrad and Perry, David E. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap Into the Hidden Job Market using Social Media and 999 other Tactics Today. Wiley 2011
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "Seth's Blog: Thank you, Jay". Sethgodin.typepad.com. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "Guerrilla Marketing Founder Levinson Dies at 80 - Top News". InsuranceNewsNet.com. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- Guerilla marketing guru helps level the field
- 'Guerilla marketing' gives small firms the edge
- Greco, Susan. "30 Seconds with Guerrilla Marketing's Guru". inc.com. New York City: Inc. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "The 25 Most Influential Business Management Books". Time. 9 August 2011.