Javi González (footballer, born 1974)
|Full name||Javier González Gómez|
|Date of birth||22 March 1974|
|Place of birth||Barakaldo, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2006||→ Ashdod (loan)||11||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
González was born in Barakaldo, Biscay. After growing through the ranks of Athletic Bilbao, he played one season each with Basque neighbours Deportivo Alavés (in the third division) and Sestao Sport Club (second level, relegated).
In 1997–98, after one year with fellow La Liga club RC Celta de Vigo, González returned to the local giants as a full member of the main squad, scoring five goals in 30 games as Athletic finished second and qualified for the UEFA Champions League. He even featured occasionally as an attacking right back.
After a serious knee injury in late 2004, González's role in Bilbao gradually diminished – only 26 league matches in three seasons combined. He also played during six months with Israeli Premier League's F.C. Ashdod, in a January 2006 loan.
In July 2007, González joined division two side Hércules CF, appearing sparingly in his first season. In the next, in which the Alicante team finished fourth, he was left without a squad number by manager Juan Carlos Mandiá.
- Javi González y Andoni Iraola celebran 'aniversario' ante el Valencia (Javi González and Andoni Iraola celebrate 'birthday' against Valencia); Marca, 2 April 2007 (in Spanish)
- González faces knee surgery; UEFA, 20 October 2004
- Javi González se une a la lista de descartes de Mandiá (Javi González joins Mandiá's transfer list); Diario AS, 10 August 2008 (in Spanish)
- Javi González: «Me han roto todas las ilusiones en sólo una mañana» (Javi González: «They have shattered all my illusions in only one morning»); La Verdad, 11 August 2008 (in Spanish)
- Javi González ficha por el Portugalete de Tercera (Javi González signs with Portugalete from Tercera); Marca, 21 August 2009 (in Spanish)