Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani (born 25 August 1978) is the former heir apparent of Qatar. He is the third son of the former Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, and the first child of the Emir with his second wife, Sheikha Moza bint Nasser Al Missned.
|Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani|
|Born||25 August 1978|
|House||House of Thani|
|Father||Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani|
|Mother||Moza bint Nasser Al Missned|
Early life and educationEdit
Sheikh Jassim is the third son of the former emir of Qatar, Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. His mother is Moza bint Nasser Al Missned, second wife of his father. He was educated at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. He attended International College, Sherborne School in Dorset.
After graduation Sheikh Jassim was commissioned as 2nd-lieutenant in the Qatari armed forces on 9 August 1996. He was appointed heir apparent of Qatar on 23 October 1996. He replaced Mishaal bin Hamad Al Thani, his older half-brother, in the post. Jassim renounced his rights in favour of his younger brother Sheikh Tamim on 5 August 2003. Opposition alleges that the replacement was involuntary.
Jassim was the personal representative of the former emir. Sheikh Jassim is also honorary president of the Qatar National Cancer Society (QNCS) since 1997. Furthermore, he has been chair of the high committee for coordination and follow up since 1999, chair of the supreme council for the environment and natural resources since 2000. He is also patron of Aspire Academy since 2003.
Marriage and childrenEdit
Sheikh Jassim married Sheikha Buthaina bint Hamad Al Thani, the daughter of Shaikh Hamad bin Ali Al Thani, at Al Wajbah Palace, Doha, on 30 March 2006. They have seven children, three sons and four daughters:
- H.E. Sheikha Mozah bint Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born February 2007)
- H.E. Sheikh Fahad bin Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born 2008)
- H.E. Sheikha Hind bint Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born December 2009)
- H.E Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born 2010)
- H.E Sheikh Tamim bin Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born 2014)
- H.E Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born October 2015)
- H.E Sheikha Dhai bint Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani (born January 2018)
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
|Reference style||His Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Highness|
Titles and stylesEdit
- Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani (1978–1995)
- His Excellency Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani (1995–1996)
- His Highness Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Crown Prince of Qatar (1996–2003)
- His Highness Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani (2003 – present)
Honours and awardsEdit
|Ancestors of Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani|
- "Qatar's Decision Makers". APS Review. 3 November 1997. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "The Line of Succession". APS Review. 19 September 2005. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- Curtiss, Richard H. (28 February 1997). "The Arabian Gulf in 1997: With Ruling Family's Dispute Settled, Qatar's New Emir Charts Bold Course". Washington Report on Middle East Affairs. 10 (6). Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Blanchard, Christopher M. (5 May 2010). "Qatar: Background and U.S. Relations". CRS Report for Congress. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "New Qatar crown prince named". BBC. 5 August 2003. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Crown Prince Jassem, Tamim's brother, should be the actual ruler but he was isolated due to his strong personality. Tamim was appointed to be manipulated by Mozah, Bin Nasser said. " https://web.archive.org/web/20170604013639/http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/2/6257/Qatari-ruling-family-dissidents-to-form-opposition-party
- Genealogy of the Al-Thani Dynasty, Page 7 – website of The Royal Ark
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jasim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani.|