Jarrod Saffy (born 24 October 1984) is a rugby union player. He played rugby league for the St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL before switching to rugby with the Melbourne Rebels for the 2011 Super Rugby season.
Saffy playing with the Dragons in 2008
|Born||24 October 1984|
Johannesburg, South Africa
|Height||191 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||106 kg (16 st 10 lb)|
|Position||Flanker, Number 8|
As of 31 October 2019
He was born in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Saffy moved to Australia as a 15-year-old and continued playing rugby union at St Joseph's, Hunters Hill. He represented the Australian Schoolboys, Australian under 21s and the Australian Sevens in rugby union as well as spending some time playing for the NSW Waratahs Academy and Sydney University Football Club.
As he has played sevens for Australia he is tied to them in Rugby Union.
Saffy switched to rugby league to progress faster and made his debut in first grade in rugby league in the final round 26 match of 2006 for the Wests Tigers. He made seven first grade appearances for the Tigers in 2007. Saffy played rugby league at second-row and also at prop-forward.
In April 2010 Saffy became the first NRL player to sign with the Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby franchise. In October he commenced training with the Rebels for the new team's in the 2011 Super Rugby debut. He was expected to play at either blindside flanker or No. 8.
- "Jarrod Saffy - Career Stats & Summary - Rugby League Project". www.rugbyleagueproject.org. Retrieved 31 October 2019.
- "Jarrod Saffy on NRL.com". NRL.
- "St. Joseph's History". St. Joseph's.
- "Jarrod Saffy re-signs with Dragons". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax. 9 May 2008. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012.
- http://aru.rugby.com.au/news/two_new_faces_in_ricoh_australian_sevens,13506.html Archived 5 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Under IRB regulations, a player becomes permanently committed to a nation upon his first presence in a matchday squad with the country's full national team, "A" national team, or sevens national team."Regulation 8: Eligibility to Play for National Representative Teams" (PDF). Regulations Relating to the Game. International Rugby Board. 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2011. See especially Regulations 8.1 through 8.4.
- "Codebreaker prepares for action and a more intense approach". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax. 7 August 2009.
- "Saffy right for final". SMH.
- "Lebanon RL News". Lebanon Rugby League Team.
- Rakic, Josh (18 April 2010). "Saffy Jumps Codes to Rebels and he won't be the last". Age. Fairfax. Retrieved 18 April 2010.
- Rebels Media Unit (11 May 2011). "South African return excites Saffy" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Paxinos, Stathi (2 February 2013). "Saffy back to stake claim for Rebels". Rugby Heaven. Australia: Fairfax. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "L'USBPA officialise la signature de Saffy". usbparugby.com (Press release) (in French). 9 November 2013. Archived from the original on 25 December 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.