Janine Mari Raymundo Tugonon (born in Orion, Bataan, Philippines) is a Filipino fashion model, television presenter and beauty pageant titleholder who was crowned Miss Universe Philippines and later finished 1st Runner-up in Miss Universe 2012.
Janine Mari Raymundo Tugonon
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Title||Binibining Pilipinas 2012|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Agency||Binibining Pilipinas Charities, Inc.|
|Binibining Pilipinas 2011|
Binibining Pilipinas 2012
(Winner- Miss Universe Philippines 2012)
Miss Universe 2012
Tugonon finished her Pharmacy degree with Latin honours (Cum Laude) at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila and became a Licensed Pharmacist in June 2010. Tugonon also attended the Lisa Macuja School of Ballet Manila as a ballet protégé while attending university. In 2010, Tugonon was titled Miss Pharmacy and Miss Thomasian Personality 2010 at UST
In 2011, Tugonon placed 1st Runner-up in the Binibining Pilipinas 2011 pageant. The eventual winner was Shamcey Supsup (her roommate). In 2012, Janine once again entered the pageant and won the title of Miss Universe Philippines 2012, gaining the right to represent the Philippines at the Miss Universe 2012 pageant.
Miss Universe 2012Edit
On 19 December 2012, Tugonon competed in Miss Universe 2012 at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, United States where she finished 1st Runner-up to Olivia Culpo of the USA. Tugonon was the only Asian to place in the Top 5. Philippines placed in the Top 5 for the third consecutive year.
During the final question and answer portion of the competition Tugonon was asked a question via Twitter and read by judge Nigel Barker: "As an international ambassador, do you believe that speaking English should be a prerequisite to being Miss Universe? Why or why not?", Tugonon replied:
For me, being Miss Universe is not just about knowing how to speak a specific language – it is being able to influence and inspire other people. So whatever language you have, as long your heart is to serve and you have a strong mind to show to people, then, you can be Miss Universe.
2012–2016: After Miss Universe 2012 and modeling careerEdit
After pageant, she graced to cover various Philippine-based magazines such as Preview, Metro, and FilJap Magazine, which eventually made it in international fashion industry. Tugonon is now living in the United States as she pursue her studies. At present, she is signed with MSA Models. She walked multiple fashion shows across America. Two of her biggest endorsements are Wells Fargo and Walmart. Her latest stint was on the newest commercial of Victoria's Secret Pink, the iconic fashion brand's line for college women.
2017–present: NU Muses and New York Fashion WeekEdit
In 2017, she was selected as one of the 12 finalists of NU Muses to be featured on David Bellemere's calendar shot. Tugonon made headline in the Philippines when she walked on New York Fashion Week along with her fellow Filipina models Valerie Weigmann and Stephanie Retuya.
Tugonon's relationship with Jaypee Santos was put in the spotlight. The two broke up in March 2013 after Tugonon reportedly began communicating with The Script's frontman, Danny O'Donoghue after their Manila concert that month.
Tugonon, together with Santos, appeared in ABS-CBN's "KrisTV" in April 2013 where she admitted to being a huge fan of The Script as well as her break-up with Santos due to her communication with O'Donoghue, after host Kris Aquino publicly embarrassed Santos in front of the camera. However, Tugonon stated that she did not have a relationship with the singer and that the break-up was only for the purpose of "thinking things over". Nevertheless, Tugonon received a lot of criticisms from netizens over her actions towards Santos on national television.
- Santos, Matikas (20 December 2012). "Philippines Miss Universe". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "June 2010 Pharmacist Board Exam Results". PRC Board Exam Results. 25 June 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Tupaz, Voltaire (14 June 2012) Last year's runner-up crowned 2012 Bb Pilipinas Universe, Rappler.com
- "Binibining Pilipinas 2012 winners". Archived from the original on 4 May 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- (17 April 2012) Fast facts about Bb. Pilipinas 2012 Janine Tugonon, ABS-CBNnews.com
- News, ABS-CBN. "Janine Tugonon to stay in US for good". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Hot Stuff: Miss Universe Philippines 2012 Janine Tugonon Now A Victoria's Secret Model". lifestyle.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Meet the First Full-Blooded Filipina Victoria's Secret Model". nextshark.com. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- Valeza, Karen. "Janine Tugonon and boyfriend break up".Yahoo! OMG! Philippines
- Sallan, Edward. "Netizens divided on Janine Tugonon's split with boyfriend over The Script frontman".Interaksyon.com
- Official Bb. Pilipinas website
- Complete Profile of Janine Tugonon
- Fast facts about Bb. Pilipinas 2012 Janine Tugonon
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss Universe
Patricia Yurena Rodríguez
| Miss Universe Philippines
| Binibining Pilipinas
Elaine Kay Moll