Church of Saint Lawrence in Janakkala
Location of Janakkala in Finland
|• Municipality manager||Pekka Harju|
|• Total||586.07 km2 (226.28 sq mi)|
|• Land||547.44 km2 (211.37 sq mi)|
|• Water||38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi)|
|Area rank||156th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||69th largest in Finland|
|• Density||29.86/km2 (77.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||19%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||17.4%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Tavastia Proper region. To the south, Janakkala shares a boundary with Riihimäki, the Northern neighbour being Hämeenlinna. The municipality has a population of 16,347 (31 July 2020) and covers an area of 586.07 square kilometres (226.28 sq mi) of which 38.63 km2 (14.92 sq mi) is water. The population density is 29.86 inhabitants per square kilometre (77.3/sq mi). In Janakkala the rate of unemployment is 9.7% and the rate of municipal taxes is 19.5%.
Sites of particular interest include the Hakoinen fortress hill and manor house, the latter being privately owned; the mediaeval stone church of St Lauri (Lawrence); the Torpparimuseo (authentic wooden village buildings and windmill); and numerous Bronze Age sacrifice stones, all in Janakkala village.
The birthplace of an internationally known actress Ida Aalberg (1857-1915) is located in Leppäkoski village in Janakkala.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Heinäkuu 2020" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 13 September 2020.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Janakkala at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Janakkala – Official website (in Finnish)
|This Southern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|