James Snyder (actor)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
James Randall Snyder (born February 7, 1981) is an American stage, film, and television actor and singer. He graduated from Christian Brothers High School in Sacramento, California and received his with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the USC School of Dramatic Arts in Los Angeles, where he was a member of the SoCal VoCals, USC's premiere a cappella group.
James Randall Snyder
February 7, 1981
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Alma mater||USC School of Dramatic Arts (BFA)|
|Spouse(s)||Jacqueline D. Snyder|
Willa Emerson (daughter)
Since 2002, Snyder has appeared on numerous television shows. His television credits include the television film Anna's Dream, and the TV series Married to the Kellys, Gilmore Girls, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Related, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Eli Stone, Drop Dead Diva, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Blue Bloods, and The Outrageously Fabulous Weekly Parody Talk Show. He can also be seen in the shorts The Baker's Dozen, A Cut Above, 5 or Die, Webloe Jobs, True Blood: The Parody Movie, Genre This, and, most recently, Adonis.
Snyder has had various movie roles and is best known for his role as Malcolm in She's the Man. His other roles include Dave in Pretty Persuasion, Jeremy in The Gingerbread Man, Seth in Shuttle, David in An American in China, and Ben Carter in Anderson's Cross. He finished filming the movie Meth Head, released in 2013.
On the stage, Snyder's credits include the Los Angeles and Vegas productions of Rock of Ages as Drew, Happy Days, The Fantasticks, Hamlet, Ray Bradbury's Let's All Kill Constance, Sneaux, Plop, and Oklahoma! He also played Luke Skywalker in The Star Wars Trilogy in Thirty Minutes.
Snyder originated the role of Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker in Cry-Baby, which had its premiere at La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego on November 18, 2007. He then transferred with the cast and made his Broadway debut the following year. Cry-Baby began previews at the Marquis Theatre on March 15, 2008, opened on April 24, 2008, and closed on June 22, 2008. In 2010, Snyder starred as Marius in the Encores! production of Fanny. In 2011, Snyder originated the role of Marco Venier in the premiere of Dangerous Beauty at the Pasadena Playhouse, which ran from February to March.
Snyder has appeared in several benefit concerts, including "Broadway Rocks Anaheim" and "Rebuild Japan", and in various cabarets in the Los Angeles area, including Upright Cabaret's "I Want To Hold Your Hand: The Music of the Beatles", and The Coterie's "Cousins: An Evening with Beck and May" and "Red Carpet Memories: A Celebration of Academy Award-Nominated Songs". From January 2012 to March 2012, Snyder starred as Christian in Show at Barre's "For The Record: Baz Luhrmann."
On August 7, 2013, it was announced that Snyder would join the cast of If/Then, a new musical opening on Broadway in Spring 2014, with a pre-Broadway run at the National Theater in Washington, D.C. from November 5 – December 8, 2013. Snyder played the role of Josh, an army doctor who meets and falls in love with Liz (Elizabeth) played by Idina Menzel) on her first day back in Madison Square Park in New York City. The musical opened on March 30, 2014. He was next seen as Prince Henry in the world premiere of the musical Ever After, which is based on the 1998 film of the same name. In November 2016 he originated the role of "Nate" in Broadway's first a capella musical, In Transit at the Circle In The Square Theater.
|2002||Patrick Gorman's Star Wars in 30 Minutes||Luke Skywalker|
|2005||Rock of Ages||Drew||Los Angeles|
|2007||Cry-Baby||Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker||La Jolla Playhouse|
|2008||Broadway; Apr. 24 - June 22, 2008|
|2011||Dangerous Beauty||Marco Venier||Pasadena Playhouse; Feb - March, 2011|
|2012||Carousel||Billy Bigelow||Goodspeed Opera House|
|2013||Johnny Baseball||Johnny||Williamstown Theatre Festival|
|2014||Broadway, Mar. 30, 2014 - Mar. 22, 2015|
|2015||Ever After||Prince Henry||Paper Mill Playhouse|
|If/Then||Josh||National Tour, Oct. 13, 2015 - Jan. 29, 2016|
|2016||Casa Valentina||Jonathon||Pasadena Playhouse|
|2018||Grand Hotel||Baron von Gaigern||Encores!|
|2019||Harry Potter and the Cursed Child||Harry Potter||Broadway|
|The Baker's Dozen||Jeremy Leigh||Short|
|The Gingerdead Man||Jeremy Leigh|
|2006||She's the Man||Malcolm Festes|
|A Cut Above||Trent Desmond||Short|
|An American in China||David Braddock|
|2010||Anderson's Cross||Ben Carter||Short|
|Webloe Jobs||Dick Webloe||Short|
|2011||True Blood: The Parody Movie||Jason Stackhouse||Short|
|2012||Genre This||Justin Amara||Short|
- Anna's Dream, Kyle (TV movie), 2002
- Married to the Kellys, Zac (1 episode), 2004
- Gilmore Girls, Yale Guy #1 (1 episode), 2004
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Jason Harrington (1 episode), 2005
- Related, Collin, (1 episode), 2005
- Without a Trace, Breck Mulligan (1 episode), 2006
- Cold Case, Bingo Zohar '53 (1 episode), 2007
- Eli Stone, Carter Jameson (1 episode), 2008
- 5 or Die, Freddy (short), 2008
- Drop Dead Diva, David (1 episode), 2010
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Hunter Ahearn (1 episode), 2011
- Blue Bloods, Billy Coffin (1 episode), 2011
- The Outrageously Fabulous Weekly Parody Show, Ensemble (1 episode), 2012
- Internet Icon, Actor (1 episode), 2013
- Rizzoli and Isles, Brad Adams (1 episode), 2013
- Hey Kid: Backstage at If/Then with James Snyder, Self (24 episodes), 2014–15
- The Good Wife, Gil Berridge (1 episode), 2015
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Star Wars in 60 Minutes Website". Starwars30.com. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Hernandez, Ernio. " 'Cry-Baby', with James Snyder and Harriet Harris, to Play Broadway's Marquis" Playbill, January 13, 2008, accessed December 2, 2016
- Itzkoff, Dave. "Encores! Announces Casting For ‘Fanny’" The New York Times, January 12, 2010
- Jones, Kenneth. "Musical 'Dangerous Beauty', With Jenny Powers, James Snyder, Michael Rupert, Premieres in CA" Playbill, February 1, 2011, accessed December 2, 2016
- Desk, BWW News. "James Snyder , Tom Lowe Lead La Mirada's 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' 4/17". Retrieved on December 2, 2016.
- Desk, BWW News. "Todrick Hall, James Snyder Join Beck & May In Pre-Album Release". broadwayworld.com, Retrieved on December 2, 2016.
- Desk, BWW News. "FOR THE RECORD: BAZ LUHRMANN Closes at Show At Barre". broadwayworld.com, Retrieved on December 2, 2016.
- "bare: The Album". Barethealbum.com. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- " 'Carousel' Cast and Creative Team" goodspeed.org, accessed December 2, 2016
- "Full Casting Announced for Paper Mill Playhouse's Ever After". TheaterMania. March 20, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "James Snyder Broadway" ibdb.com, accessed December 1, 2016
- http://www.playbill.com/article/james-snyder-and-more-to-join-broadways-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child, accessed September 6, 2019