James Seay (September 9, 1914 in Pasadena, California – October 10, 1992 in Capistrano Beach, California) was an American character actor who often played minor supporting roles as government officials.
James W. Seay|
September 9, 1914
Pasadena, California, U.S.
October 10, 1992 (aged 78)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Vivian Cohn (1942-?) (divorced)|
Mercedes Carmen Bole (?-1992) (his death)
Although it was a minor part not credited on-screen, his role in the film Miracle on 34th Street is one of his most visible because the film is a staple of Christmas repeats on television.
In the syndicated 1954-1955 television series Stories of the Century, starring and narrated by Jim Davis, Seay portrayed the Wyoming storekeeper James "Jim" Averill, companion of Cattle Kate Watson, both of whom were hanged in a dispute with cattlemen at the start of the Johnson County Range War.
Seay appeared sixteen times as Judge Spicer on ABC's western series, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, starring Hugh O'Brian. He was cast six times as a sheriff on the NBC children's western series, Fury, starring Peter Graves and Bobby Diamond. He also guest starred in Kenneth Tobey's syndicated aviation adventure series, Whirlybirds, and on the westerns The Californians, The Tall Man, and The Rebel.
He appeared three times in 1958 and 1959 on CBS' Perry Mason: murder victim Ross Hollister in "The Case of the Cautious Coquette," Dr. Michael Harris in "The Case of the Curious Bride," and murderer Ralph Hibberly in "The Case of the Spurious Sister."
Seay was cast as Duke Tavener, an unscrupulous businessman who tries to force a woman to turn over her saloon/casino to him, in the 1958 episode "Gambler" of the ABC/Warner Brothers western series, Cheyenne, starring Clint Walker.
He appeared on CBS's The Twilight Zone as the sheriff in the episode "In His Image" and as Agent Bowton in The Andy Griffith Show Season 4 episode, "The Haunted House" and the Season 5 episode, "Prisoner of Love".
- Women Without Names (1940)
- Queen of the Mob (1940)
- The Kid from Kansas (1941)
- The Face Behind the Mask (1941)
- Mr. Celebrity (1941)
- Man from Cheyenne (1942)
- Highways by Night (1942)
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947) as Dr. Pierce (uncredited)
- Secret Beyond the Door (1948) as Bob Dwight
- The Checkered Coat (1948)
- Red Canyon (1949)
- The Asphalt Jungle (1950) as Officer Janocek (uncredited)
- When the Redskins Rode (1951) as George Washington
- Torpedo Alley (1952)
- Problem Girls (1953)
- Captain John Smith and Pocahontas (1953) as Edward Maria Wingfield
- Street of Darkness (1958) as Jesse Flores
- Official Detective US series - Episode: "Extortion" as Cracker (1958)
- The Threat (1960)
- The Lawbreakers (1961) - Mayor Harold Emshaw