|Born||16 July 1941|
|Education||University College London (PhD)|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||The speech of one family : a phonetic comparison of the speech of three generations in a family of East Londoners (1965)|
|Doctoral advisor||J. D O'Connor|
|Other academic advisors||Dennis Fry, A. C. Gimson, Michael Halliday, Gordon Frederick Arnold, Robert M. W. Dixon, John C. Wells, Olive M. Tooley|
|Doctoral students||Philip Carr, Simon M. Kirby|
He is the General Editor of the book series Oxford Studies in the Evolution of Language, as well as a member of the Centre for Language Evolution (formerly Language Evolution and Computation) research group at the University of Edinburgh where he is an emeritus professor.
He also helps organize the series of International Conferences on the Evolution of Language
- 2014 The Origins of Language: A Slim Guide
- 2011 The Origins of Grammar: Language in the Light of Evolution
- 2007 The Origins of Meaning: Language in the Light of Evolution
- 1994 Grammar: a Student's Guide
- 1987 Language and Number: the emergence of a cognitive system
- 1983 Semantics: a Coursebook
- 1975 The Linguistic Theory of Numerals
- 2000 The Evolutionary Emergence of Language: Social function and the origins of linguistic form, edited by Chris Knight, Michael Studdert-Kennedy and James R Hurford
- 1998 Approaches to the Evolution of Language: social and cognitive bases, edited by James R Hurford, Michael Studdert-Kennedy and Chris Knight.
- "Hurford, Prof. James Raymond", Who's Who (Oxford University Press, December 2017). Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- Jim Hurford Home Page James Hurford home page
- International Conferences on the Evolution of Language.
- "British Academy New Fellows 2015" (PDF). British Academy. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Books by Jim Hurford
- Review in Times Higher Education