James Monroe Iglehart
|James Monroe Iglehart|
|Born||September 4, 1974 (age 42)
|Height||6 ft (183 cm)|
|Weight||295 lb (134 kg)|
|Spouse(s)||Dawn Iglehart (m. 2002) |
James Monroe Iglehart (born September 4, 1974) is an American stage actor and singer.
Iglehart is perhaps best known for his Tony Award-winning performance as the Genie in the original Broadway production of Aladdin. Iglehart is set to assume the role of Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson in the Broadway company of Hamilton in April 2017.
Iglehart attended Cal State Hayward and started his career in California, performing in Bat Boy at TheatreWorks, Palo Alto, California and as Teen Angel in Grease at the American Musical Theatre, San Jose, California.
In 2005, he directed Bat Boy the Musical at Ray of Light Theatre. He has played Mitch Mahoney in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee on Broadway as a replacement starting in April 2007. He originated the role of Bobby in Memphis on Broadway in October 2009.
Iglehart is currently performing the role of the Genie in Aladdin on Broadway, a performance for which he won the 2014 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical for this role. When asked about the role, he said, "It's not as exhausting as you think. I'm kind of an energetic guy in general, so basically I'm kind of being me with the volume turned up." Iglehart is set to depart the company of Aladdin in February 2017 to begin rehearsals in the role of Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson in the Broadway company of Hamilton.
Igleheart will voice the character Lance Strongbow in Tangled: The Series.
|2006||The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee||Mitch Mahoney||Wilbur Theatre||Regional/Boston|
|2007–08||Circle in the Square Theatre||Broadway|
|2011||Aladdin||The Genie||5th Avenue Theatre||Seattle/Pre-Broadway|
|2014–17||New Amsterdam Theatre||Broadway|
|2017||Hamilton||Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson||Richard Rodgers Theatre||Broadway|
He was raised in Hayward, California, with his brother. His father is a business man, and his mother is a former high school choir teacher. He met his future wife Dawn in the Mt. Eden High School show choir.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2014||Tony Awards||Best Featured Actor in a Musical||Aladdin||Won|
|Drama Desk Awards||Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical||Won|
|Broadway.com Audience Choice Award||Favorite Featured Actor in a Musical||Nominated|
|Favorite Diva Performance||Nominated|
|Favorite Funny Performance||Nominated|
- Ng, David (21 May 2014). "James Monroe Iglehart releases the genie inside". latimes.com. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "10 Things You May Not Know: James Monroe Iglehart of 'Aladdin'". New York Shows. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Igleharts Wish Granted" nypost.com, March 9, 2014
- Blank, Matthew. "The Genie of Broadways Aladdin James Monroe Iglehart" playbill.com, March 18, 2014
- "James Monroe Iglehart Nominated for a Tony" rayoflighttheatre.com
- "James Monroe Iglehart" broadwayworld.com
- "James Monroe Iglehart" Internet Broadway Database
- Staff. Just the Winners, Please: Who Won the 68th Annual Tony Awards"[permanent dead link] playbill.com, June 8, 2014