James Michael Lafferty
James Michael Lafferty (born 1963) is an American businessman, speaker, consultant, psychologist, and social media influencer. He is known for his story of starting as a fitness trainer in the Procter & Gamble Company in 1984 and progressing through marketing to become a division CEO for P&G, Coca-Cola, and British American Tobacco. He is also an Olympic athletics coach, keynote speaker and trainer, columnist, and Women's Rights Advocate. Further, he is a marathon runner, an honorary coach, and consultant at the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association, and on the board of the Medical Wellness Association. He supports Filipino orphans and women's empowerment programs around the world. He transformed the Management Board of Fine Hygienic Holding to 30% female members.
James Michael Lafferty is married to Carol Lafferty and has five children Michael, Morgan, Kristen, John-Patrick, and Kenji. Kenji is Lafferty's only adopted child. Kenji was an abandoned Filipino orphan, and after a period of foster care with the Lafferty Family, the Laffertys formally adopted Kenji.
Lafferty started off his career as a corporate fitness trainer. As a professional track and field coach, he has coached Olympic-Level track and field athletes in the United States, Nigeria, and the Philippines for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. He also coached the Nigerian marathon team in the 2012 London Olympics.
He coached 3-time Olympian, Long Jumper, Marestella Sunang who returned from childbirth in 2014 to set a new national record, in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics and provided her with a team doctor, strength coach, masseuse, dietician and sports psychologist, among others.
Lafferty has also coached Ernest Obiena, Esther Obiekwe, Kristy Abello, all national level athletes in their various countries. He has co-founded a marathon titled, “The Bull Runner Dream Marathon” which takes place every year.
Lafferty began his career in 1985 with Procter & Gamble, sprinting through various strategic leadership roles that include being the General Manager for the Near East region, Chief Executive Officer of P&G for Poland and the Baltic States, Vice President of Paper in Western Europe, and CEO of the company's operations in the Philippines.
After Procter & Gamble, Lafferty continued his career journey as the CEO of Coca-Cola Nigeria and as the CEO of British American Tobacco in the Philippines. He also worked as a consultant with P & G, Coca-Cola, HP, Newell Rubbermaid, Nestlé, Microsoft, Intuit, L'Oreal, General Electric, Hershey, Wal-Mart and many other Fortune 500 companies.
Teacher and Columnist
His column on “Why Diversity is still a business challenge” was a finalist under the CMMA Best Business Column category.
Adopt an Olympian program
Lafferty aimed to gather CEOs for his “Adopt an Olympian” program. The objective of the program was to help the country win the elusive gold, preferably as early as 2016. With the help of the program, one CEO ought to fund full range training of one Filipino athlete. Along with financial support, the program entails helping out in the setting up of an entire system involving selection and hiring of a coach, yoga instructor, dietician, sports psychologist, as well as the design of the training program.
Administering CPR at the airport
Lafferty was widely covered by Filipino media after he saved the life of a stranger, Romeo Silva, in October 2006. Lafferty administered CPR after the man collapsed and initially died at the Nagoya Airport, Japan due to a heart attack.
He has also been interviewed by Barbara Be about how he started his career and reach the position he is at today. The interview was titled, Climbing the Ladder. He also appeared on a show Expat Insights with Raju Mandhyan where he talked about winners and champions. He has also been a speaker at AESC and Tissue World 2005.
Awards and recognitionEdit
Lafferty is the winner of the 2019 Burj CEO Of the year Middle East Award as well as GCC 2019 CEO of the year; and, Daman Corporate Health and Wellness Visionary 2019 Award. He has been listed in the 2019 Top 50 International CEOs by Forbes Middle East.
- "Fine Hygienic Holding: Breaking the glass ceiling".
- Maclang, Amor. "When business is leisure: Business Highlights of Travel 2017". BusinessMirror. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Star, By Helen Flores, The Philippine. "Love endures: Expat completes PH adoption process". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Free Downloadable Content: James Lafferty – How to build an innovation culture in your company". auschamvn.org. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Larano, Cris (2014-04-05). "Corporate-Minded Coach Dreams of Olympic Gold for the Philippines". WSJ. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "STAR columnists Kong, Flores win CMMA awards". sg.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "James Lafferty: Marketing Is a Matter of Faith | Adobo Magazine Online | Creativity, Advertising, Design, Media, Digital, Marketing, PR, Asia News". adobomagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Marathon legend tells Filipino runners: Listen to your body". Inquirer Lifestyle. 2015-02-23. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Bulletin, The Manila. "Keeping the flame". mb.com.ph. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Breuleux, Christopher. "faculty". Medical Wellness Association. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Exclusive: Papermaker Fine Hygienic weighs IPO post restructure". The National. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- AETOSWire (2019-05-15). "The Path to Gold: Fine CEO Coaches and Supports Olympic Talent". Arabia With Class. Retrieved 2019-07-23.
- "Expat nurtures the Filipino dream for a first Olympic gold". Manila Standard. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Being a man for others, according to James Lafferty". philstar.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Fine Hygienic Holding appoints James Michael Lafferty as CEO". ArabFinance. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- admin (2016-08-10). "Dumaguete jumper eyes Olympic medal finish". The Daily Guardian. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Torres-Sunang aims for Top 5 finish in Rio". The Manila Times Online. 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Athletics sets Olympic program in motion". Manila Standard. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "With an American coach and team of experts, Marestella Torres expected to hit new heights in Rio Olympics". Spin.ph. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Navarro, June. "$1 a month: US coach to train Torres". sports.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Pedralvez, Manolo. "End of an era: Go Teng Kok steps down as PATAFA head". Rappler. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Reyes, Marc Anthony. "Obiena puts SEA Games tragedy behind him". sports.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Olympic Marathon: Obiekwe Aims High". P.M. News. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Abello, Kristy (2015-06-10). "Key Elements From MY Ottawa Marathon Training". Pinoy Fitness. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Kobler, Ashton (2019-03-21). "James Michael Lafferty CEO of Fine Hygienic Holding". The CEO Magazine. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Fine Hygienic Holding appoints James Michael Lafferty as CEO". Jordan Times. 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Fine Hygienic appoints key official". www.tradearabia.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Endeavour Magazine June 2018". Issuu. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "FINE Receives New Chief Executive Officer".
- "BAT's Lafferty: Coaching is my first love". philstar.com. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- danroyal (2010-03-26). "Nigerian Coca-Cola Bottler to Expand Plants, Offer New Products". Gblcareers. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- BusinessWorld, By Neil Jerome C. Morales. "P&G to take advantage of 2010 recovery". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Procter & Gamble says RP one of top market priorities". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Journal, Erin WhiteStaff Reporter of The Wall Street. "P&G's British Ad Gets Back to Basics". WSJ. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "BusinessDay Online, TV, and Podcast". Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Malilong, Frank (2013-04-23). "Malilong: Bullish on the Philippines". Sunstar. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Remo, Michelle V. "CEO pushes colleagues to adopt Filipino Olympians". business.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Marestella's diet is key to her bid". Manila Standard. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Arriola, Joanna. "2 bound by chance airport encounter 7 years ago". globalnation.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "P&G Exec saves a man's life • Our Awesome Planet". Our Awesome Planet. 2007-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Chrissy B Show (2014-03-04), 5 Qualities You Need To Succeed - Interview with James Michael Lafferty, retrieved 2019-05-08
- barbara be (2013-12-03), Climbing the ladder - James Lafferty - Ex CEO of Coca-Cola and Procter & Gamble - Barbara Be, retrieved 2019-05-08
- Expat Insights (2013-08-10), WInners Vs Champions with James Michael Lafferty & Raju Mandhyan 1, retrieved 2019-05-08
- "The People At Work Hosts Top Business Leaders at "Business Unusual"". AESC. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Tissues take off - Converting Today". www.convertingtoday.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "BURJ CEO AWARDS | The Burj CEO Awardees". Retrieved 2019-12-24.
- "Top 11 UAE organisations with the healthiest workplace". MEED. 2019-10-27. Retrieved 2019-12-24.
- East, Forbes Middle. "Holding Page". Forbes ME. Retrieved 2019-12-24.