James Lee Barrett
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
James Lee Barrett
|Born||November 19, 1929|
Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.
|Died||October 15, 1989 (aged 59)|
Templeton, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Producer, screenwriter, author|
His first screenplay (based on his teleplay The Murder of a Sand Flea) was for the 1957 film, The D.I., which starred Jack Webb as a Marine Corps drill instructor at MCRD Parris Island. Barrett had been on Parris Island as a recruit in 1950 and served in the Korean War
Other notable works written by Barrett include the 1965 epic film The Greatest Story Ever Told, Smokey and the Bandit, The Green Berets, Bandolero! and co-writing On the Beach. Barrett also scripted a made-for-TV remake of The Defiant Ones (which starred Carl Weathers and Robert Urich in the Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis roles), and adapted the 1967 movie In the Heat of the Night for a weekly series. (The show starred Carroll O'Connor and Howard Rollins, in the Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier roles.) Barrett wrote and produced ...tick...tick...tick..., a similarly-themed Southern crime drama starring Jim Brown and George Kennedy.
Barrett died in Templeton, California in 1989 of cancer, aged 59.
- Chevron Hall of Stars - "Cold Harbor" (1956)
- Chevron Hall of Stars - "Heart of a Dream" (1956)
- Kraft Theatre - "The Murder of a Sand Flea" (1956)
- Kraft Theatre - "Teddy Bear" (1956)
- The D.I. (1957)
- Kraft Theatre - "Run, Joe, Run" (1958)
- Kraft Theatre - "Dog in a Bus Tunnel" (1958)
- Outlaws - "The Avenger" (1961)
- Checkmate - "Hot Wind on a Cold Town" (1964)
- The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
- The Truth About Spring (1965)
- Shenandoah (1965)
- Bandolero! (1968)
- The Green Berets (1968)
- The Undefeated (1969)
- ...tick... tick... tick... (1970) - also produced
- The Cheyenne Social Club (1970) - also produced
- Fools' Parade (1971) - also produced
- Something Big (1971) - also produced
- The Cowboys (1974) - various episodes
- Shenandoah (1974) (musical)
- Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
- The Awakening Land (1978)
- Stubby Pringle's Christmas (1978)
- Mayflower: The Pilgrims' Adventure (1979)
- Wild Horse Hank (1979)
- The Day Christ Died (1980)
- Belle Starr (1980)
- Angel City (1980)
- You Are the Jury (1984) - episode
- The Defiant Ones (1986)
- Stagecoach (1986)
- Vengeance: The Story of Tony Cimo (1986)
- Our House (1986-88)- creator
- The Quick and the Dead (1987)
- Poker Alice (1987)
- April Morning (1988)
- In the Heat of the Night (1988–95)- creator
- Ruby Jean and Joe (1996)
- Warden of Red Rock (2001)
- Sandra Brennan (2006). "James Lee Barrett profile". Actors Biographies. All Media Guide. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "James Lee Barrett profile". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "Sergeant Friday Plays a Drill Instructor". New York Times. June 6, 1957. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- Google Books
- p, 45 Group, Gale Contemporary Authors Cengage Gale, 2004
- We...the Marines:  Anonymous. Leatherneck ; Quantico Vol. 53, Iss. 10, (Oct 1970): 72-75.
- "James Lee Barrett Awards". Internet Broadway Database. Archived from the original on 2006-03-19. Retrieved 2007-04-17.