James Innes-Ker, 7th Duke of Roxburghe
James Henry Robert Innes-Ker, 7th Duke of Roxburghe (5 September 1839 – 23 October 1892), became Duke of Roxburghe on the death of his father, James Henry Robert Innes-Ker, 6th Duke of Roxburghe.
The Duke of Roxburghe
|Lord Lieutenant of Roxburghshire|
|Preceded by||The Duke of Buccleuch|
|Succeeded by||The Lord Reay|
|Member of Parliament for Roxburghshire|
|Preceded by||Sir William Scott|
|Succeeded by||Sir George Scott-Douglas|
James Henry Robert Innes-Ker
5 September 1839
|Died||23 October 1892(aged 53)|
(m. after 1874)
|Relations||Sir Charles Dalbiac (grandfather)|
|Parents||James Innes-Ker, 6th Duke of Roxburghe|
He was born on 5 September 1839 to James Henry Robert Innes-Ker, 6th Duke of Roxburghe and Susanna Dalbiac, Duchess of Roxburghe, only child of Sir Charles Dalbiac. His mother was one of Queen Victoria's staff until she died in 1895. His elder sister was Lady Susan Harriet Innes-Ker, who married Sir James Suttie, 6th Baronet. His younger siblings were Lady Charlotte Isabella Innes-Ker, wife of George Russell, and Lord Charles John Innes-Ker, who married Blanche Mary Williams (a daughter of Col. Thomas Peers Williams).
On 11 June 1874 he married Anne Emily Spencer-Churchill. She was the fourth daughter of the 7th Duke of Marlborough and the former Lady Frances Vane-Stewart (eldest daughter of Charles Vane, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry). Together, James and Anne, who served as Mistress of the Robes and Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Victoria, were the parents of seven children, three boys and four girls, including:
- Lady Margaret Frances Susan Innes-Ker (1875–1930), who married James Alexander Orr-Ewing (1857–1900) in 1898.
- Henry John Innes-Ker, 8th Duke of Roxburghe (1876–1932), from whose only son all current Innes-Ker males are descended.
- Lady Victoria Alexandrina Innes-Ker (1877–1970), who married Charles Hyde Villiers (1862–1947) in 1901 and had issue.
- Lady Isabel Innes-Ker (1879–1905), who married the Hon. Guy Greville Wilson (1877–1943) in 1904.
- Lord Alastair Robert Innes-Ker (1880–1936), who married London 10 October 1907 Anne Breese (1885–1959), an American heiress in 1907 and had issue.
- Lady Evelyn Anne Innes-Ker (1882–1958), who married William Fellowes Collins (1865–1948), a grandson of Lord de Ramsey, in 1907 and had issue.
- Lord Robert Edward Innes-Ker (1885–1958), who first married Charlotte Josephine Cooney (1887–1958) (otherwise known as the musical comedy actress Jose Collins) in 1920. They divorced in 1935. He remarried to Eleanor Marie Woodhead (1887–1958) in 1939; there was no issue by either marriage.
Lord Roxburghe died on 23 October 1892 and was succeeded by his eldest son. His widow, the Dowager Duchess of Roxburghe died in London in 1923 after a lengthy illness, at the home of her daughter Lady Evelyn and her husband, Colonel William Collins.
- Greg King (4 June 2007). Twilight of Splendor: The Court of Queen Victoria During Her Diamond Jubilee Year. John Wiley & Sons. p. 79. ISBN 978-0-470-04439-1.
- "Roxburghe, Duke of (S, 1707)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- Times, Wireless to the New York (30 September 1932). "DUKE OF ROXBURGH DIES AT AGE OF 56; Stricken Suddenly After Attending Funeral of His Friend, Michael G. Herbert. | I MARRIED MAY GOELET HERE | Ceremony in 1903 One of Important Society Events of That Year | Was Wounded in War". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "DUKE OF ROXBURGHE MARRIES MISS GOELET; Second American Heiress to be Made a Duchess in St, Thomas's WOMEN MOB HER CARRIAGE Extraordinary Demonstration Near the Church by Faminine Sightseers Keeps Police Busy -- Reception at Mrs. Goelet's Home". The New York Times. 11 November 1903. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Lord R. Innes-Ker weds Jose Collins; Brother of Duke of Roxburghe Married to Musical Comedy Actress in London. Ceremony was a Secret. Bride, Daughter of Late Lottie Collins, Won First Success Herein "The Merry Countess." New York Times, 4 November 1920, p. 16], (citation only)( full article)
- "Death of Dowager Duchess of Roxburghe". The Times. 21 June 1923. p. 8.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by James Innes-Ker, 7th Duke of Roxburghe
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir William Scott
| Member of Parliament for Roxburghshire
Sir George Scott-Douglas
The Duke of Buccleuch
| Lord Lieutenant of Roxburghshire
The Lord Reay
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Duke of Roxburghe
Henry John Innes-Ker