James Innes-Ker, 6th Duke of Roxburghe
The Duke of Roxburghe
|Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire|
|Preceded by||Baron Marjoribanks|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Home|
James Henry Robert Innes-Ker
12 July 1816
|Died||23 April 1879 (aged 62)|
|Parents||James Innes-Ker, 5th Duke of Roxburghe|
|Alma mater||Christ Church, Oxford|
Innes-Ker was the only surviving child of the 5th Duke of Roxburghe and the former Harriet Charlewood (c. 1778–1855). Before his parent's marriage in 1807, his father was widowed from his marriage to Mary Wray, eldest daughter of Sir John Wray, 12th Baronet. After his father's death in 1823, his mother remarried to Lt. Col. Walter Frederick O'Reilly CB of the Royal African Corps on 14 November 1827.
In 1840, he was a Knight of the Thistle. He also served as Lieutenant General of the Royal Company of Archers, a governor of the National Bank of Scotland and Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1873 until his death in 1879.
On 29 December 1836, he married Susanna Stephania Dalbiac (1814–1895), the only child of Lt. Gen. Sir James Charles Dalbiac and Susannah (née Dalton) Dalbiac. Together, James and Susanna were the parents of four children:
- Lady Susan Harriet Innes-Ker (1837–1909), who married Sir James Grant Suttie, 6th Baronet.
- James Henry Robert Innes-Ker, 7th Duke of Roxburghe (1839–1892), who married Anne Emily Spencer-Churchill, daughter of the John Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough.
- Lady Charlotte Isabella Innes-Ker (1841–1881), who married George Russell, eldest son of Capt. William Russell RN.
- Lord Charles John Innes-Ker (1842–1919), who married Blanche Mary Williams, daughter of Col. Thomas Peers Williams, of Craig-y-Don.
Roxburghe died in Genoa on 23 April 1879. After a funeral at Floors Castle, he was interred in the aisle at Bowden. He was succeeded in his titles and estates by his eldest son James. The Dowager Duchess was one of Queen Victoria's staff until the former died in 1895.
- "Roxburghe, Duke of (S, 1707)". cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Archived from the original on 19 May 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- King, Greg (2007). Twilight of Splendor: The Court of Queen Victoria During Her Diamond Jubilee Year. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-04439-1.
- Lodge 1846, p. 460.
- "DEATH OF THE DUKE OF ROXBURGHE". The Pall Mall Gazette. 24 April 1879. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- "Funeral of The Duke of Roxburghe". The Morning Post. 6 May 1879. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Lodge, Edmund (1846). The Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire as at Present Existing (15th ed.). Saunders and Otley.
- King 2007, p. 79.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Roxburghe
| Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Duke of Roxburghe
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Earl Innes