James Hibberd (writer)
James Hibberd is an American journalist and screenwriter. He is the current Editor at Large for Entertainment Weekly, and previous staff editor for The Hollywood Reporter. His work has been published in publications including The New York Times, Salon, Details, Cosmopolitan, and Amnesty International Magazine.
|Education||University of Texas|
From 2003 to 2008 he worked for TelevisionWeek becoming senior editor of the publication. In 2008 Hibberd joined The Hollywood Reporter as a senior television reporter, and went on to become the television editor for the publication. Since 2010 he has been atEntertainment Weekly.
Hibberd co-wrote the screenplay Waco with Rupert Wainwright about the Waco siege, after spending a year researching the story. Hibberd wrote the screenplay to the film Tell Me How I Die which was released in 2016 to mixed reviews.
In 2001, while a writer at the Phoenix New Times, Hibberd conducted an interview with an active serial eco-arsonist who had not yet been captured by police. After the interview Hibberd declined to assist in the investigation, and refused to turn over any of his interview notes or other materials to investigators despite being subpoenaed to do so. Some criticized Hibberd’s decision, including The Arizona Republic and the mayor of Phoenix, who accused him of assisting the arsonist. A judge ruled that Hibberd was not legally obligated to hand over any material to police as the arsonist was a protected source. The arsonist was later apprehended.
- "Hibberd joins THR TV reporting staff". hollywoodreporter.com. The Hollywood Reporter. 4 February 2008.
- Stableford, Dylan (1 December 2010). "James Hibberd to Exit Hollywood Reporter for EW". thewrap.com. TheWrap.
- O’Connell, Joe (4 July 2008). "Film News". austinchronicle.com. The Austin Chronicle.
- Collis, Clark (9 August 2016). "Tell Me How I Die trailer: A drug trial turns terrifying in new horror film". ew.com. Entertainment Weekly.
- "Judge rules reporter does not have to name confidential source". rcfp.org. Reporters Committee For Freedom of the Press. 28 February 2001.
- Wyss, R.L. (2010). Covering the Environment: How Journalists Work the Green Beat. Routledge Communication Series. Taylor & Francis. p. 195. ISBN 978-1-135-59803-7. Retrieved 2018-09-13.