James F. Checchio
James Francis Checchio (born April 21, 1966 in Camden, New Jersey) is an American Roman Catholic prelate. Bishop Checchio served as rector of the Pontifical North American College in Rome from 2005 until 2016. On March 8, 2016, Pope Francis named him Bishop of the Diocese of Metuchen to succeed Bishop Paul Bootkoski. He was consecrated and installed as Bishop of Metuchen on May 3, 2016.
James Francis Checchio
|Bishop of Metuchen|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Appointed||March 8, 2016|
|Installed||May 3, 2016|
|Ordination||June 20, 1992|
|Consecration||May 3, 2016|
by John Myers, Paul Gregory Bootkoski, Dennis Joseph Sullivan
|Born||April 21, 1966|
Camden, New Jersey
James Francis Checchio
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Education and priesthoodEdit
Checchio was born in 1966 in Camden, where he attended Paul VI High School in Haddon Township, graduating in 1984. Afterward he went on to study at the University of Scranton, where he finished his bachelor's degree in 1988. He subsequently entered seminary and was sent to study at the Pontifical North American College in Rome. He finished his studies there with a licentiate in Canon Law in 1993.
After completing his studies in Rome, Checchio returned to the Diocese of Camden, where he served as secretary to Bishop James T. McHugh, as well as vice chancellor of the diocese, director of communications, moderator of the diocesan curia, and episcopal vicar for administration of the diocese. He also served in the diocesan tribunal. He served as administrator of Holy Spirit Parish in Atlantic City, parochial vicar at St. Agnes Parish in Blackwood, and summer parochial vicar at St. Peter Parish in Merchantville and St. Peter Celestine Parish in Cherry Hill.
Checchio is an alumnus of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome, where he earned a doctorate in canon law in 1998. His dissertation was entitled An Examination of General Absolution Using the Criteria of a Juridic Act. In 2004, he also earned a master's degree in business administration from La Salle University in Philadelphia.
Rector of the North American CollegeEdit
Prior to his assignment as rector of the North American College, Checchio served as vice rector there for three years. He was appointed rector on December 12, 2005 by the college's board of governors. His term as rector began on January 16, 2006. On November 23, 2015 it was announced that Checchio would be succeeded as rector by Father Peter C. Harman. Checchio's term as rector ended February 1, 2016, at which time he returned for service in his home diocese of Camden.
Bishop of MetuchenEdit
On March 8, 2016, Checchio was nominated to succeed to Bishop Paul Bootkoski as the fifth bishop of the Diocese of Metuchen in New Jersey. His episcopal consecration and installation as the Bishop of Metuchen occurred on May 3, 2016, at the Church of the Sacred Heart in South Plainfield, New Jersey. The principal consecrator was John J. Myers, assisted by the outgoing Bishop of Metuchen, Paul G. Bootkoski; and Dennis J. Sullivan, the Bishop of Camden.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Francis Checchio.|
- "Rinunce e nomine, 08.03.2016". Bollettino (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. March 8, 2016. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "Msgr. James F. Checchio appointed a prelate of honor by Pope Benedict XVI" (Press release). Diocese of Camden. September 22, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- Wooden, Cindy (December 12, 2005). "Camden, N.J., priest named rector of U.S. seminary in Rome". Catholic News Service. Archived from the original on December 12, 2005. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "Rector Named for the Pontifical North American College" (PDF) (Press release). Pontifical North American College. 23 November 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 November 2015. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- Beuttel, David (23 November 2015). "Quincy native appointed rector of prestigious college in Rome". WGEM. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- The Ordination and Installation of the Most Reverend James Francis Checchio (PDF). Diocese of Metuchen. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
| Bishop of Metuchen
| Rector of the North American College, Rome
Peter C. Harman