James Dougherty (Medal of Honor)
James Dougherty (November 16, 1839 – November 25, 1897) was a U.S. Marine in the 1871 Korean Campaign. He received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Korean Expedition, while serving as a private aboard USS Benicia. His Medal of Honor was issued on February 8, 1872, under General Order No. 169. Private Dougherty was one of fifteen United States sailors and Marines who received the Medal of Honor for this little known American military action.
|Born||November 16, 1839|
|Died||November 25, 1897 (aged 58)|
Brooklyn, New York
|Place of burial|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1869 - 1893|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Marine Corps. Born. November 16, 1839, Langhash, Ireland. Accredited to: Pennsylvania. G.O. No.: 169, February 8, 1872.
Online citation discrepanciesEdit
There appears to be some confusion about James Dougherty's Medal of Honor citation. Many online sources quoting Dougherty's citation include significant verbiage identical to that of Seaman John Henry Dorman actions during the American Civil War, to include service on board the USS Carondelet. This may indicate an erroneous early transcription of Dougherty's award citation, which appears immediately after Dorman's in early books listing Medal of Honor recipients, that has subsequently been repeated by various web sites.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Marine Corps.
- "Private James Dougherty, USMC (Deceased)" (PDF). USMC History Division. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Robeson, George M. (February 8, 1872). "General Order, No. 169". General Orders and Circulars Issued by the Navy Department. Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office (1863–1887): 111. Retrieved 28 January 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Record of Medals of Honor Issued to the Officers and Enlisted Men of the United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, 1862-1917. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1917. p. 35.
- "James Dougherty". Military Times Hall of Valor. Military Times Hall of Valor. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "James Dougherty". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. Retrieved 9 November 2007.