James Gerard Dinan
1959 (age 59–60)
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Known for||Founding and managing York Capital Management|
Owning the Milwaukee Bucks
|Net worth||US$2.2 billion (April 2019)|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth R. Miller|
Early life and educationEdit
James Gerard Dinan was born to a Roman Catholic family in 1959 in Baltimore, Maryland, one of five children of Robert and Jeannette Dinan. His father was a textile engineer and his mother a homemaker. In 1969, the family moved to Paxton, Massachusetts. In 1977, Dinan graduated from the private Bancroft School. He then went on to earn a B.S. from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in economics in 1981. While at the University of Pennsylvania, Dinan joined Alpha Chi Rho, a northeastern fraternity. In 1981, he took a job with stock research firm, Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette (DLJ). In 1985, Dinan earned a M.B.A. from Harvard University.
In 1985, he took a job at the merger arbitrage firm Kellner DiLeo & Company. In 1987, the market crashed and he lost his entire $600,000 in savings. In 1991, he was able to raise $3.6 million from his former DLJ colleagues and started his own hedge fund named York Capital (named after the street he was then living on, York Avenue). In 1993, his fund earned credibility with a 33.8 percent return and by 2000, the fund had over $610 million in assets. In 2010, he sold 33% of York to Credit Suisse for $425 million. In 2011, he made a $1 million donation to the Museum of the City of New York. In July 2014, Dinan gained partial ownership of the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks. In June 2017, he named two eventual successors to lead York Capital in the future. In 2018, York Capital Management had $20.5 billion assets under management.
Dinan is married to Elizabeth R. Miller, and they have three children together. Dinan lives in Manhattan and also owns homes in Westchester County, New York; Nantucket, Massachusetts; and on the Caribbean island of Saint Barthélemy.
- Forbes The World's billionaires: James Dinan 2 April 2019
- "York Capital Management: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-02-20.
- Bloomberg: "York Capital's Dinan Finds Value in Tel Aviv Funds, Tyco Duplex" By Richard Teitelbaum September 7, 2006
- "Bancroft School: Alumni Awards". www.bancroftschool.org. Retrieved 2019-04-10.
- "James Dinan". Wharton Business Radio. Retrieved 2019-04-10.
- "Investing in the HBS Fund" (PDF). HBS Alumni. March 2016. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Wall Street Journal: "Hedge Fund Founder Helps Document City's History" By Shelly Banjo February 8, 2011
- "Milwaukee Bucks add third hedge fund owner". CNBC. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Chung, Juliet (2017-06-14). "York Capital Names Two Eventual Successors for Founder Jamie Dinan". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "YORK CAPITAL MANAGEMENT GLOBAL ADVISORS, LLC Top Holdings". whalewisdom.com. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- New York Times: "Making a Name on Horseback" by KERRY HANNON OCTober 22, 2014
- Department of Cultural Affairs - New York City: "MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG AND COMMISSIONERS KATE D. LEVIN AND DAVID J. BURNEY JOIN THE MUSEUM OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK TO OPEN NEW CURATORIAL CENTER AND JAMES G. DINAN AND ELIZABETH R. MILLER GALLERY August 13, 2008
- TABB TV Replay: "Charlie Rose Interviews James Dinan" November 8, 2012